Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ginormous Problem AT Cooler leaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 04:19 PM
Exclamation Ginormous Problem AT Cooler leaking

I have a 2005 T&C 3.8 Liter with AT and I just noticed near the Radiator Cap area I have sprung a Huge leak.
I noticed the top 4 or 5 Rods/Cores (whatever the lines are called where the Transmission fluid runs through) looks to be designed for the AT fluid where the rest of the lower ones are for the AC unit.
Now it appears from what I can gather that the lowest rod/core on the AT side has for some unknown reason sprung a leak, Maybe a rock off the road hit it somehow? Not sure I do know it has not been wrecked nor have I been working in that area to damage it.
Has anyone had this situation occur?
I am stumped as it sure seems I will have to have the entire unit removed and either replaced or repaired but this will require disconnecting the AC and I do not want to do that as it will cost a pretty penny to have it vacuumed out and refilled. I don't suppose there is a safe way to repair the leak on van is there?
How about temporarily installing a separate tranny cooler like I have on my MH and have had on a couple Mopar muscle cars and my Power wagon just until I can figure out a way to repair this or have the money saved to pay to drain, vacuum and refill my ac unit.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:42 PM

Oh Man no, Comments This can't be good. I think it may be able to be repaired like the older Radiators we used to repair in dirt track race cars by soldering, But that still means possibly removing the unit and emptying the AC system, then to figure out how to clean the oil from the inside and out of the AT part of the cooler.
I doubt it is recommended to purchase a replacement from a wrecking yard correct as they could have debris in the unit which could be inadvertently sucked into the transmission?
I'm stuck between a Leaky Tranny cooler and hard place as it is leaking to heavy to drive it and I am limited on time to get whatever treatment underway.
When it looks like you ran over someone head and they leaked on the street when it is idling for approx. 10 min I would consider that bad. Id say it leaked probably 4+ ounces in that time.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:27 AM

"I have a 2005 T&C 3.8 Liter with AT and I just noticed near the Radiator Cap area I have sprung a Huge leak" -- was your first line. I assume you mean the radiator cap for the engine coolant.
If the ATF cooler is one of those awful things mounted in the bottom of the coolant radiator, for heaven's sake, don't run the engine at all. Coolant-water in the autobox will ruin it PDQ., and make your eyes water when you see the cost of a new box. And think how you may raise a second mortgage on the house.

If this be your ATF cooling arrangement, it always makes sense to fit a separate ATF cooler, so long as there's room somewhere. The kind with a fan is well worth it for the small extra cost. With a separate cooler, you can do mountainous territory, tow a trailer/caravan with impunity and forget the ATF temperature going too high. Below 80*C, the ATF will almost last forever.

I'm just hoping your ATF cooler isn't in the bottom of the coolant radiator, as there's possibility of ATF contamination.

Leedsman.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:14 PM

I would check a factory manual but the procedure I'm looking at doesn't say you have to deplete the A/C system. Just unbolt the condenser from the radiator and lift the radiator out.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:32 AM

Sorry for the late, response, I got no Emails/updates stating any reply's were received.
No I was stating near radiator cap as location of leak only. my 2005 T&C does not seem to run the Auto Transmission fluid through the radiator as was normal, it appears to have a separate cooler in front of Radiator which the top section (about 4-5 lines) hold and cool the ATF and the rest of the unit is the A/C condenser.
I was just mentioning the radiator cap as it is the approx. location of the leak ( Left side/passenger Side of the ATF/R134a Heat exchanger)
It appears as if a rock or something from the road has punctured the cooler.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Raptor 07
I would check a factory manual but the procedure I'm looking at doesn't say you have to deplete the A/C system. Just unbolt the condenser from the radiator and lift the radiator out.

Unfortunately my ATF cooler is not in the radiator it is integrated into the A/C condenser (the top 4 or 5 lines are designated for the ATF fluid.

I was just curious if anyone else had this issue which to me seems strange as I have seen many coolers with much more damage not leaking at all so it shocked me as the damage to me seems quite minor.
I do have a copy of the Chrysler service manual I will look at it and see what it has to say about this situation

Old 03-05-2014, 07:49 AM

Here is a Pic I got from the manual showing the A/C Condenser-Auto Trans Cooler
Name:  ACCondenser-AutoTranscooler_zpsed0eccf1.jpg
Views: 2969
Size:  36.0 KB

Now you can see what I was talking about with the top few lines in cooler being for the Auto Trans fluid.
By looking at the above picture you can see what I was referring to as by the radiator cap. This unit is entirely separate from the radiator itself and is part of the A/C Unit so removal would require evacuation of the A/C system.
I am thinking it may be easier just to purchase a comparable size cooler and installing it in front of the A/C condenser rather then going through the entire hassle of removing the leaking unit and having it repaired.
Of course that would mean bypassing the current (leaking) cooler completely.

Last edited by SpudlerT+CTouring; 03-05-2014 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Left out some info
Old 03-05-2014, 07:58 AM

I had thought maybe I had forgotten to mention I have a 3.8 Liter engine but I did point that out as I noticed 2.5/2.8 liter models have a separate Auto Trans cooler.
Thanks