300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

95 LHS: Cold hard starts

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 95 LHS: Cold hard starts

there are 3 other o rings behind the waterpump housing that will also leak from time to time some people will just assume that the pump is the only thing leaking. So the no start only happens with the remote start huh?? that would be an issue yes

Old 01-08-2007, 12:41 PM

Well, I guess it isn't the remote start. Went to start it today and crank-crank-crank... Finally started up with the same thing I described before. Black smoke/fuel smell.

Someone from another forum posted a TSB on this issue (the site is down for maintenance otherwise I would post it), has to do with choice of spark plugs and PCM programming on early 3.5s preventing it from starting in freezing temperatures.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

yeah what plugs did u put in it should have factory plugs but that will only cause other issues not a no start.
here is the tsb need to be the build date of this
NO: 18-15-95 SUBJECT: Cold Weather No-Starts DATE: May 5, 1995 NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 3.5L ENGINE BUILT BEFORE FEB. 17, 1995 (MDH 02-17-XX).so check your build date or this tsb is worthlessu can look on the door plackerd it will have a build date if u dont have one give me last 8 of the vin and i can look on chrysler site.

Old 01-08-2007, 11:46 PM

ORIGINAL: CHRYSLER TECH

yea but that will only cause other issues not a no start
No, the TSB says:

"SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Engine fails to start in extremely cold weather (below 0°F.). Engine will crank and may fire intermittently but does not continue running."

That is exactly what mine is doing. Though it's about 25 degrees here.

Old 01-09-2007, 01:30 AM
Super Moderator

dude dont quote me on what the tsb says i have it right infront of me what u see is what they post on the web , not the real tsb u only see a snipit because people want to know this info and that is a way of finding out stuff the whole tsb is this

NO: 18-15-95 SUBJECT: Cold Weather No-Starts DATE: May 5, 1995 NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 3.5L ENGINE BUILT BEFORE FEB. 17, 1995 (MDH 02-17-XX). SYMPTOM/CONDITION: Engine fails to start in extremely cold weather (below 0° F.). Engine will crank and may fire intermittently but does not continue running. Engine may also fail to jump start. It may be necessary to dry spark plugs and move vehicle to a warmer area (repair bay) to start. DIAGNOSIS: Using the Mopar Diagnostic System (MDS) or the Scan Tool (DRB III) with the appropriate Diagnostic Manual, verify that all engine systems are functioning as designed. If Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC’s) are present, record them on the repair order for future reference and repair as necessary. NOTE: THE FOLLOWING REPAIR PROCEDURE AND PARTS ARE ONLY INTENDED TO IMPROVE COLDThe tsb STARTING PROBLEMS IN EXTREMELY COLD WEATHER. IT WILL NOT RESOLVE DRIVEABILITY RELATED HARD STARTING OR NO-START COMPLAINTS UNDER OTHER CONDITIONS. EQUIPMENT/PARTS REQUIRED: Quantity Part No. Description 1
CH6000 Scan Tool (DRBIII) 1
CH7035 General Purpose Interface Bus Cable (GPIB) 1
CH7020 Body Cable 5.5 4761838 Mopar 5W30 Motor Oil 1
5281090 Mopar Oil Filter 6
56027275 *Spark Plug (Champion RC-12-LYC)* 1
4275086 Label - Authorized Modification 1
4669020 Label - Authorized Software Update
*Spark Plug, P/N 56027275 (Champion RC-12-LYC), with a .035" gap is the only spark plug certified for the 3.5L engine. For vehicles built between Oct. 24, 1994 and Feb. 17, 1995 the new software included in this bulletin must also be installed. REPAIR PROCEDURE: This bulletin involves changing engine oil and filter and replacing spark plugs, and reprogramming the powertrain control module with new software. [ol][*]Replace the plugs with P/N 56027275. Verify gap of 0.035 in. on new plugs before installation. NOTE: TO REMOVE THE CABLES FROM THE SPARK PLUGS, LIGHTLY GRASP THE RUBBER CAP AT THE TOP OF THE CABLE WITH PLIERS, AND PULL STRAIGHT UP WITH A STEADY TWISTING MOTION. DO NOT PULL ON THE CABLE ITSELF.[*]Change engine oil and filter using Mopar 5W30 oil, P/N 4761838. NOTE: REVIEW WITH THE OWNER THE PROPER USE OF 5W30 ENGINE OIL AS DESCRIBED IN THE OWNERS MANUAL. SAE 5W30 AIDS IN LOW TEMPERATURE STARTING AND IMPROVED FUEL ECONOMY, HOWEVER, CONTINUED USE ABOVE 32 DEGREES F. AMBIENT TEMPERATURE MAY CAUSE INTERNAL ENGINE DAMAGE. NOTE: MDS AND DRBIII ARE REQUIRED TO PERFORM THE FOLLOWING REPAIR. MDS MUST BE OPERATING WITH RELEASE 16 OR HIGHER AND TlL 1080 OR HIGHER INSTALLED.[*]Connect the MDS (Mopar Diagnostic System) and DRBIII (Scan Tool) to the vehicle and power them up.[*]Use the arrow keys and select #2 MDS DIAGNOSTICS on the DRBIII MAIN MENU Screen.[*]Use the arrow keys and select DIAGNOSTIC MENU on the MDS, then press NEXT MENU.[*]Use the arrow keys and select CONTROLLER PROGRAMMING on the MDS, then press NEXT MENU.[*]Use the arrow keys and select PROGRAM CONTROLLER PART on the MDS, then press NEXT MENU.[*]Follow the steps presented on the MDS and DRBIII which will allow the DRBIII to obtain the current part number of the controller.[*]The MDS will display the part number of the controller on the vehicle and the appropriate replacement part number, then press NEXT MENU to begin programming. If the controller on the vehicle has already been updated or programmed, a NO UPDATES AVAILABLE message will be displayed. Check the part number of the controller on the vehicle and compare it to the part number displayed. If the controller has already been updated, then a system problem actually exists and should be corrected.[*]The MDS and DRBIII will prompt the operator for any action needed during the remainder of the programming process. NOTE: THE FOLLOWING STEPS ARE REQUIRED BY LAW.[*]Type the necessary information on the "Authorized Software Update" label, P/N 4669020. Attach the label to the PCM and cover the label with the clear plastic overlay. ( See Illustration)[*]Type the necessary information on the Authorized Modification Label and attach the label near the VECI Label. ( See Illustration)[/ol] NOTE: FOR VEHICLES CONSISTENTLY EXPOSED TO TEMPERATURES BELOW 0° F, A MOPAR ENGINE BLOCK HEATER, P/N 82300749, IS RECOMMENDED. POLICY: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty. TIME ALLOWANCE: Labor Operation No. Time 08-19-41-96 0.9 Hrs. FAILURE CODE: Code Description FM
Flash Module

Old 01-09-2007, 02:29 AM

Dude, don't talk to me like I don't know a thing about cars or service bulletins, and I quoted the line I did from the FULL TSB, which is word-for-word what you posted. I am new to Chrysler, not new to cars. The "dude" thing is really insulting. I appreciate your help thus far but the TSB you posted is exactly what I have, and describes the exact problem I have, and I have just replaced the plugs tonight with the Champions that are stock and OEM, and changed the oil. Still, the issue remains. Only thing left is to have the PCM reprogrammed.

You stated "that will only cause other issues not a no start" ... I corrected you, because the very issue that this TSB does refer to, is a no-start condition in cold temperature.

Your attitude has me taking my problems to another forum. I don't care if I get fewer answers, as long as they don't insult me, I will be fine.

Old 01-09-2007, 03:00 AM
Super Moderator

READ THE TSB AGAIN NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 3.5L ENGINE BUILT BEFORE FEB. 17, 1995 (MDH 02-17-XX) if your car was not built in that time frame then this tsb is worthless to U. Also u said u replaced the plugs already after the no start was already taking place and after u changed the plugs and i correct?? if thats true then the plugs had nothing to do with it b4 and after u started to work on the car. The aftermarket plugs will cause other issues such as running rough not a no start. U also said that u checked for a no spark correct again?? the plugs are just the after effect of the coils so they would nothing to do with a no start see where i am comming from sence u have car experence??? AS far as tsbs go u can have all of the same symptoms as u want but if there is a certan build date that it falls under and u arnt in it then its not applied to your make and year. Thats my point i was trying to get to U thats all.