300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

98 Concorde Windows quit, heater quit, warning lights don't go out

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 12:53 PM
Thumbs up 98 Concorde Windows quit, heater quit, warning lights don't go out

It's kind of quiet around here. Is my Concorde the last one on the road?

Last night I rolled the driver window down, but it won't go back up. At the same time, the heater system quit, and a few warning lights are stuck on: ABS, Parking Brake, Air bag. The Check Engine has also been on since I changed the fuel injectors with a System Too Rich code - I doubt if that is related to the new combination of problems.

I checked the fuses, set the parking break and released it a few times, and replaced the circuit breaker for the windows but the problems remain.

When I turn the key on, all of the trouble lights come on, then go out after a few seconds. Then when I start the engine, those four trouble lights turn on again and won't go out.

Is there a common component for the windows, heater, ABS, Air bags, and parking brake?

Any other ideas?
Thanks!

Last edited by TChalmsOR; 11-11-2019 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Change the icon from ? to thumbs up.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:55 AM

Partial good news: After I pulled open the inner driver door panel, everything started working correctly.

Now I need to re-install the door panel (easier said than done.) And I'm still leary of the same thing happening again.

A friend suggested that I clean up the ground connections. The battery to body ground is obvious.

But where is the engine to body ground?

And where is the ground for the PCM to body?

Are there grounds for each of the fuse blocks?

Cheers.

Old 11-09-2019, 08:15 PM

The partial good news was short-lived. I needed to run an errand, and the same bunch of things failed: windows, turn signals, and HVAC don't work, and the ABS, Parking Brake, and AirBag LEDs are stuck on.

I cleaned up the Negative battery ground connection, but that didn't help.

I found another forum on the Edmunds site with other people listing the same combination of problems. Somebody said that tightening connections at the ignition switch solved the problem for him. So I looked in the Haynes book to find out how to open up the steering column. So this gets funny. It says you need to disable the airbag system before working in the area, but you need to open up the steering column covers in order to disable the airbag system. OK? Hopefully open the steering column covers doesn't blow up the airbag. Although disconnecting the battery negative and waiting two minutes is supposed to drain the backup power for the airbag igniters. I hope to get at that tomorrow.

I also found that there is a ground for instrument panel, right near the accelerator pedal. I'll check that tomorrow, too.

In order to clean up the ground for the PCM, I'm wondering if disconnecting the connectors at the PCM and spraying them with Electrical Cleaner would do the job?

Cheers.

Old 11-11-2019, 07:40 PM
Thumbs up Problem solved !

Done! Done! Done!

Replacing the ignition switch (not the key cylinder) solved the problem.

If you need to do this task, you need an E5 External Star Socket, aka, Torx Female Socket to remove and replace the Multifunction Switch and install the new Ignition Switch.

Also, before you disconnect the battery negative, you might want to move the power seat all the way back.

And BTW, there is a ground for the PCM right beside it on the fender. It's a good idea to clean it up while you have the battery disconnected.

Cheers.