300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

'99 Concorde won't turn over

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 07:52 PM
Default '99 Concorde won't turn over

A friend of mine has a '99 Concorde with a 2.7 It was running without any issues until yesterday. He went out to start it and it wouldn't turn over. Dome lights and headlights still worked.

Battery tested bad, so he bought a new battery. Put it on the charger for 3 hours to make sure that it was fully charged and installed it.
The car still won't turn over. The ASD relay is clicking continually unless you pull the ASD fuse and then put it back in. (even with the key off) As soon as you turn the key on, the ASD relay begins its rapid clicking again.

When the key is in the run position, the fuel pump relay is continually clicking also. When you try to crank, you can hear a click that I assume is the solenoid, the radio display goes out and the odometer changes to all 00000s, that is all that happens. Release the key back to the run position and the dash displays come back on and the fuel pump relay continues to rapidly click.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by kwkride; 10-02-2016 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:03 PM

Now, further clarification. The solenoid is NOT activating when you try to start the car. (It helps to have someone else to turn the key)

I did jumper the starter relay though, and the starter cranked the engine. At least I know not that the starter is still good.

Old 10-02-2016, 04:31 PM

I assume that since the engine will crank when I jumper the starter relay, that the power and ground to the starter are good. I metered the other grounds to make sure that they were also good. I also pulled any related fuses and verified that they were good.

Since I have been unable to find anything wrong, I went ahead and replaced the ignition switch. This made no difference.

I tried leaving the key in the run position and cranking the engine by jumping the starter relay but the car didn't start using this method.

Old 10-05-2016, 04:01 PM

Since I can't seem to find anything that doesn't check out, I'm starting to assume that it is a problem with the PCM. (which does have a dent in the cover)
This car is not worth spending hundreds of dollars on a PCM just to see if that's the problem though. We may just have to give up and junk the car.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:31 AM

Well, he didn't want to spend $800 to see if replacing the PCM would fix his $700 car, so it was hauled off to the recycler yesterday.
Thanks!