300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

Anyone know the length of a 98 concorde shifter cable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 09:32 AM
Default Anyone know the length of a 98 concorde shifter cable?

I need to replace the cable (broke at the shift lever). I found some universal replacements online and they come in lengths of 5 ft. and 6 ft. I don't know which to get. Any suggestions?

My car specs:

98 Concorde LXi
3.2L

Thanks!

Old 01-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

buy one for that car the universal will be a pain in the ***

Old 01-06-2011, 07:22 PM

Agreed......The factory one is enough of a bear to replace.......

You definitely dont want to do it twice.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:49 AM

i replaced my shift cable about 6 months ago.. but i dont remember the exact length of the cable.

the job isnt as hard as i thought it was gonna be.
my biggest fear was fighting with the firewall and getting my hand up in the area where it needs to be.
actually.. getting my hand up under the dashboard was easy.
the entire process inside the car was a piece of cake.

i didnt have the ability to change the gears anymore.. so i had to jack the car up and put the front of the car on jack stands.
crawling under the car, finding the nut that holds the shifter cable took a second.. but it was easy enough to get to it thanks to my hands/arms fitting in the gaps (i have above normal size hands)

you just take the transmission dipstick bolt off so that you can get to the shifter cable bolt.

the only problem i had was getting the transmission dipstick bolt back in.
i simply couldnt get the bolt lined up with the threads so it would screw in.
i tried getting that bolt in for 20 - 30 minutes and completely lost the bolt somewhere.
my transmission dipstick doesnt have the bolt holding it anymore (i really dont think the dipstick needs the bolt because the dipstick doesnt rattle.. therefore it has zero chance of coming out unless someone pulls/twists on the dipstick.)
the dipstick goes into its hole about 1 and a half inches.. which is plenty.

i'm just saying, if you dont want to have the same trouble with the transmission dipstick bolt.. try screwing the bolt back into its hole while you are working on something else.
i'm thinking that maybe the metal was warm when i took it out and then cooled down and shrunk the threads enough to make putting the bolt back in impossible.
but maybe it was my inability to line the bolt up with the thread.. i swear i tried getting all angles to screw the bolt back in.

if it wasnt for the stupid transmission dipstick bolt.. i wouldnt mind doing that job again and again.. although i seriously dont want to keep paying for shift cables.
i got mine at the dealership because it is a dealer only part.
it cost me $85 total.
the cable feels fine and i dont see any signs of having to replace it again anytime soon.

my cable was completely rusted and all the plastic was cracked/missing where the shifter cable bends backwards.. and it explains why i wasnt able to fill the cable housing with lube to regain some functionality.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:54 AM
Default Shifter cable

I have a factory shifter cable from a 2002 300m. The car had the Autoshift option. If it will fit your application, you can have it if you pay the postage. I'm in the st Louis area.

I concur, do NOT use the universal junk.

Let me know or it's going to the boneyard with the rest of the carcass.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:15 PM

Thanks 007! Do you think it is compatible with my Concorde? I guess if I isn't, I can just pay it forward to somebody else. Man, I am having a hell of a time finding this part!

Anybody else know if this would be compatible?

Old 01-12-2011, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by klahaeck
Thanks 007! Do you think it is compatible?
I would say either call a dealer and ask parts to look it up and give you the part number and then do the same for the 2002 300m that I have. If they match you're good to go. If not, just find an intrepid in the boneyard the same year as yours, there's a ton here in the st Louis area. That should be identical to the Concorde.