300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

Couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 11:08 PM
Default Couple of questions

Hello, Have a couple of questions about a 98 Concorde. First of all, outside of the dealer does anyone know where I can get a clock spring for this vehicle at??? Anywhere at all online?

Next one will not be as simple, this car has been having a very harsh slamming when shifting into 3rd gear and again when going from 3rd to 2nd gear. I had an independent shop take a look at it and they could not provide any details outside of when it started to shift from 2nd into 3rd it would suddenly go into 1st and then into 3rd. This is not consistent by any means! The independent shop took it to a dealership and had the PCM? updated. This did not seem to solve anything. Also, I had them service the trans thinking that maybe (even though it appears to be electrical related) this would help with the issue.

Anybody heard of or seen anything of this nature happen with a 98 Concorde with the 3.2 in it?

Thank you in advance for your help and/or comments.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:42 AM

first the clock spring is available right from dodge/chrysler and isn't that expensive from my frame of reference. You could always get one from a JY and hope for the best... a simple continuity test would confirm it's condition. sometimes they show up on ebay.

trans problem. there's dozens of 'possible' causes. using proper diagnostics to solve this is what needs to be done. They should have flashed the TCM but I rarely see that as a necessity. some shops always do that first. I only do it if there's a TSB but there's no TSB for your problem.

Some things to look for would be CVI values and typical codes. but again there's dozens of possible causes... some may not be electrically related. heck even fluid level can cause wierd things.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:08 PM

Thank you for the response. as far as the clock spring issue, no need to test it, one day the steering wheel locked up and I had no choice but the break the wheel free and it made a horrendous noise! Ever since then you can hear loose things in there and the horn and cruise control stopped working along with the air bag light that came on.

In regards to the trans, you are definitely talking out of my realm! It seems to me that they did check codes and none showed up but, this was sometime ago so maybe they are now. I will have to take it back down there and have them dig into it deeper.

Thank you for the response!