300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

cranking no start, p1391

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 04:49 PM
Default cranking no start, p1391

Okay, here goes.

Have an 01 3.5L. Tried starting it after it sat awhile, and it ran, then ran very poorly, with the tach all over the place, gave a P1391 code bad cam/crank sensor (sweet code chrysler), we had just replaced the Crank sensor right before this. I did some research which said that aftermarket crank sensors are notoriously bad, and since the crank sensor should be the only input that would effect the tach signal, I went ahead and replaced it.

It started, ran, drove, then started the same thing, ran awful, have to play with the throttle just to keep it going. This time it gave 2 coil codes as well. So I replaced those coils, an it started right up! I drove it for about 8-10 minutes, until, I'm assuming it got into closed loop, then it started the same thing AGAIN!

So, even though I really doubted the cam sensor to be the problem, I went ahead and replaced it, It did look as if it were bad, so I started it. It ran, it missed twice, ran, then died.

I can't start it now at all.

I wanted to make sure the timing didn't jump. (I did just replace the timing belt only a few thousand miles, if that, ago) I pulled the plugs, which were coated in gas, and did a compression check. All the cylinders were between 150-160 psi. So timing should be good, and the tensioner should still be tight.

So, with all that being said, I don't see any reason why the 1391 code still sets, as it seems there is no reason for it to. Furthermore, I'm dumbfounded as to why it won't start at all now.

We had replaced the PCM about a year ago, and I'm thinking thats what the culprit is now. What say you guys?

Also, I tried starting it with the cam sensor unplugged, and the tach didn't move...don't quite get that one either.

Old 03-27-2010, 04:32 PM

I cannot get an 8v signal out of the PCM from the cmp ckp power wire.

But it wouldn't start wouldn't start wouldn't start, then I pushed the t-pin in there a little harder, cranked it and it started better than it did in a long time!

But like clock work, after about 5 minutes, it started running poorly, then died. Won't start, anyone have any ideas?

Old 11-26-2016, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlocksnHardrock
Okay, here goes.

Have an 01 3.5L. Tried starting it after it sat awhile, and it ran, then ran very poorly, with the tach all over the place, gave a P1391 code bad cam/crank sensor (sweet code chrysler), we had just replaced the Crank sensor right before this. I did some research which said that aftermarket crank sensors are notoriously bad, and since the crank sensor should be the only input that would effect the tach signal, I went ahead and replaced it.

It started, ran, drove, then started the same thing, ran awful, have to play with the throttle just to keep it going. This time it gave 2 coil codes as well. So I replaced those coils, an it started right up! I drove it for about 8-10 minutes, until, I'm assuming it got into closed loop, then it started the same thing AGAIN!

So, even though I really doubted the cam sensor to be the problem, I went ahead and replaced it, It did look as if it were bad, so I started it. It ran, it missed twice, ran, then died.

I can't start it now at all.

I wanted to make sure the timing didn't jump. (I did just replace the timing belt only a few thousand miles, if that, ago) I pulled the plugs, which were coated in gas, and did a compression check. All the cylinders were between 150-160 psi. So timing should be good, and the tensioner should still be tight.

So, with all that being said, I don't see any reason why the 1391 code still sets, as it seems there is no reason for it to. Furthermore, I'm dumbfounded as to why it won't start at all now.

We had replaced the PCM about a year ago, and I'm thinking thats what the culprit is now. What say you guys?

Also, I tried starting it with the cam sensor unplugged, and the tach didn't move...don't quite get that one either.
I had this exact problem let my car sit and when i went to start it, it came up with a p1391 code did you end up finding out the problem? Ive changed a bunch ofstuff and its stressfull at this point