Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

98 sebring intermittent stalls P0340, P1391

Old 11-27-2009, 06:59 PM
Default 98 sebring intermittent stalls P0340, P1391

1998 Sebring lxi coupe 2.5liter intermittently stalls and may or may not start right back up.
My CenTech OBDII reads codes:
P0340- camshaft position sensor A circuit bank 1 or single sensor and
P1391 - interm loss of cmp or ckp.
The OBDII at AutoZone only picked up the code pointing to the camshaft position sensor.

Since there is not much you can do about the camshaft position sensor other than replace the distributor, and it requires a good input from the crankshaft postion sensor to operate properly I’ve been hoping the problem would be elsewhere.
Connections have all been checked and have even regapped the crankshaft position sensor to .0010-.0020, but still having problems.
No longer have oscilloscope to check square wave output of sensor.

I just want to be sure if I am correct that this could indeed be the crankshaft position sensor with the problem instead of camshaft position sensor or if I should go ahead and bite the bullet and replace the distributor or really bite the bullet and take it to the dealer.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:26 AM

The only thing I can say is that my crankpos sensor failure did not cause any supplemental code(s)...

I would suggest that the crank sensor is okay... but it is not that expensive. You COULD replace it and hope... but I suspect that it would be 'wasted' bux!

Old 12-01-2009, 06:56 AM

Thanks, at least I got someone to answer!

Right now waiting to see if fails again since the last time I exercised all connections. I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

I wouldn't say the crank sensor is expensive, but it isn't cheap. Around $70, but still cheaper than a distributor.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:38 PM

I had the same problem with my 1999 LXi. It WAS the crank sensor. Cost about $250 for the mechanic to figure out the problem, purchase the parts, and fix it. Mine wasn't coming up with any codes that said it had a bad crank sensor. But sometimes it would completely stall and wouldn't start up for 15-20 mins. Works fine now.

Old 12-05-2009, 04:16 AM
Red face

Originally Posted by moblue
Thanks, at least I got someone to answer!

Right now waiting to see if fails again since the last time I exercised all connections. I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

I wouldn't say the crank sensor is expensive, but it isn't cheap. Around $70, but still cheaper than a distributor.

Just rechecked... so okay. It was around 60... my bad.

Still cheaper than distributor tho!

Old 01-02-2010, 12:23 AM

i have a 99 sebring lxi which i just brought back from "retirement". seafoamed the intake to clean all the carbon out and it died on me while driving her to the gas station. thought it was just outta gas but $15 in the tank said it wasnt. suspecting the crankshaft position sensor has gone bad. when i turn the key she tries to start but sounds like it's out of gas. got her to turn over and crank while feathering the accelerator but the engine just chugged and died after a few seconds. any help or input would be greatly appreciated...

Old 01-02-2010, 02:14 PM

Hook up a scanner to it and see if it's throwing any codes. No point in guessing.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
Hook up a scanner to it and see if it's throwing any codes. No point in guessing.
Originally Posted by miss kizmit
i have a 99 sebring lxi which i just brought back from "retirement". seafoamed the intake to clean all the carbon out and it died on me while driving her to the gas station. thought it was just outta gas but $15 in the tank said it wasnt. suspecting the crankshaft position sensor has gone bad. when i turn the key she tries to start but sounds like it's out of gas. got her to turn over and crank while feathering the accelerator but the engine just chugged and died after a few seconds. any help or input would be greatly appreciated...
1st... dcotter has the smart answer.
2nd... if its not throwing codes and is ATTEMPTING to run it would NOT be the crank sensor... but might be a clogged fuel filter or something limiting your fuel flow... or the fuel pump is not operating at all and it is attempting to run on limited pressure being built up in the tank.
How long had it been sitting?