300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

LHS 1999 (crankshaft/belt assembly) issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 02:16 PM
Unhappy LHS 1999 (crankshaft/belt assembly) issue

Today when pulling out of my insurance companies driveway for my auto insurance, me and my wife heard a clunking noise and the noise started to sound like something flapping against the engine block/front of engine. I drove maybe 200 hundred ft. then stopped, popped the hood, and nothing wrong from a spot check, no fluids leaking, but burning rubber smell. Start to drive again and a knocking noise started from the front end of the car when I drove over 10mph but not when going uphill. Got the car home, checked the belts in the front and they are all in one piece. No knocking/engine running a bit high (little over 1000 rpms in idle), but once driven, it starts up. Took it to local Chrysler dealership and the half stupid guy said it would probably be "something" with the crankshaft... But didn't know what. Because I had no money he would't look at it. So, what would the part be named (possibly part number too) that connects the belt assembly (crankshaft position sensor or the tensioner and timing belt?) to the crankshaft at the bottom of th engine. Thanks!

Old 08-17-2009, 09:22 PM

It won't be the timing belt or the crankshaft position sensor. The engine simply won't run with a broken timing belt or malfunctioning crankshaft position sensor. You could have caught some piece of debris under there like a plastic bag or something that caught in a drive belt and maybe got thrown off. It should be looked at by a professional, though; there may be something serious going on and you don't want to be stranded. The dealer isn't the only game in town. Ask around about a local mechanic or garage that does repairs. They might be willing to look at it for less than the dealership.