300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

Now it want start!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 08:13 PM
Default Now it want start!!!

My 1999 Chrysler Concorde want go into any gear. It's never given any transmission problems before. Today while driving home, it started lurching somewhat, I took it straight home and checked the fluid. Fluid level was ok. Now the transmission will not go into any gear. You can see the tech drop as you slide the shift lever in an out of gear. It makes an almost unbearable whine for a few seconds.

Today I bought a tranny computer, a whole valve body assembly complete with solenoid pack, unfortunately i didnt get to install any of these items because when i checked the car, it had a dead battey.

I put in a new battery, tried to start the car and it sputtered a few times and now it will just crank. I can hear the fuel pump kick in and i replaced the relays in the fuse box under the hood. I used a touch of starter fluid the air filter, but that didnt help either. I pulled a couple of plugs, checked the gap. I left one spark plug out and checked for spark...didnt see it sparking at all.....

So now whats up with this POS?

Old 04-26-2013, 06:37 PM
Default parts swapping

With no idea ( or anyone else) what's going on, I started swapping the cheap stuff. I replaced a small round black sensor that slides into the tranny on the passenger side of the car at the very front, 2 wires. The car started the first time! What sensor is this?

I replaced the computer pack under the dash (screwed to the back of the fuse box) with a used one, the car runs the same buy still want shift. The only thing I can see it changed was the mileage, this leads me to beleive this wasn't the computer box?

What's the computer box in the engine compartment do, (under the fuse relay box)? In my friends car a 2004 model Sebring, this is the tranny box..

Old 04-26-2013, 08:23 PM

Sensor on the pass side you changed sounds like the crankshaft sensor. This tells the engine module the engine is rotating. Cam sensor (front of drivers side top of engine tells the enginemodule where the engine is (firing order) The module you changed by the fuse bos is the BCM, Body Control Module. Not only mileage stored there but also the VIN. Controls body stuff, no engine or trans there.
On your 99 (up to 01) there are 2 modules at the fuse box. The forward one (larger) is the Engine Control Module, smaller one is the EATX or trans module.
02 and up (friends Sebring) Engine & Trans in one box PCM Powertrain Control Module

Last edited by FIREM; 04-26-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:39 PM

Any idea what's wrong with my transmission? I drove the car home, it shuttered a little bit on the way home, but not really bad, it cleared up on the way home. Parked the car, the next day the car want move in any gear, although I can see the tech drop when I change from park to drive or lower.....

Old 04-26-2013, 08:42 PM
Default tcm

Should I swap out the tcm? There's several of these same model cars in the junk yard and I could get matching engine an trans cm's......if they need to match.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:44 PM

I also have a whole valve body, complete with the solenoid pack, I pulled from a junk yard car as well......