Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

03 Sebring 2.4 Engine over heats

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 04:34 PM
Default 03 Sebring 2.4 Engine over heats

I got an 2003 Sebring with a 2.4 Engine. and only 105 K miles on it. It keep over heating. and there is always coolant missing but the surge tank is always full and never uses any from it. I tried to bleed the system, checked for any leaks and none found. took the thermostat off and its still the same. the upper hose gets really really hard its like its gonna explode. I checked the compression and it was 150,120,120,160. could any one please help me. I drive it for 5 miles and it heats up real quick. where is that air coming from ? the car runs great too. there is no miss fire or anything like that.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:39 PM

If the t-stat is still out, .......

With the car Ice-cold (First start of the day).....Remove the radiator cap, top off the coolant, and leave the cap off.....

Start the car and look in the radiator for "AIR BUBBLES"..............

That sounds classic for Compression pressure leaking into the cooling system, From a head gasket failure.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:47 PM

I did that this morning and the minute I turn the car on with the cap off the coolant start coming out and smoke like coming out too. is that the only way to test it ? I'm thinking about changing the head gasket, do I have to take the head to the shop to check it or just replace the gasket ? and advice on how the timing is done ? is it hard to get it right ? thanks for the quick response by the way

Old 02-16-2011, 05:22 PM

There is a test kit available from your parts store......Its called a "BLOCK TESTER"....

You pour a Blue liquid into a "Syringe" and place it on the radiator neck...if the blue fluid turns yellow, it indicates that Exhaust Gasses are present in the radiator...If you see smoke......Dont waste your time with the test kit, as the smoke your seeing is what turns the fluid yellow in the first place.

Now......I personally dont do a head gasket without sending the head out for inspection, but......It also isnt my money I'm spending....Its up to you, But I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT.

As for difficult.....I say this...I would NEVER discourage anyone from doing their own work.....But, for a first timer..this is not a project to learn on...Especially not if this is your daily car.

If you have other transportation, and have the time to be without the car.....Yes it is completey do-able.....

Buy a manual and read it...Dont just look at the pictures....Then..if you still feel comfortable enough with it...start tearing into it..

Old 02-18-2011, 10:36 PM

Thanks for the response, I took the spark plugs off and turned the engine, Cylinder 3 starts to spray coolant to the outside. I took the head off and the gasket was burned. I'm getting the parts and putting everything back together. I purchased a manual to get it right. any other advice ? should I replace the water pump too ? by the way, I'm selling the car after I fix it.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:05 PM

I am thinking of changing the head gasket, I want to head to the store check or just replace the gasket? And the proposed time is how to do? Is difficult to understand, right?

Old 03-01-2011, 04:04 PM

I'm not sure of your question, Its not hard if you have the proper tools and the knowledge, buy a manual from autozone and just follow the instructions, I have never done a head gasket before on an DOHC before and this was easy, you just have to make sure you get the timing right