Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

03 sebring mystery

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 11:40 PM
Default 03 sebring mystery

I bought a sebring a year ago for my daughter. I noticed the break lights were on all the time now so I assumed its the break light switch. I disconnected the plug but the lights stayed on. I seen a wire coming out of the plug had electrical tape on it so I removed it. Someone had soldered a wire to the break switch wire. As I was following the wire I noticed some non factory wires as well so I followed them. again more electrical tape. now for the question!! inside the tape is a Chrysler key and two wires soldered to the key and those wire run into some sort of a box. at first sight you would think it was a bomb. any idea why someone would wire into a key? and also into the break switch wire? I was going to sell the car but now I may just scrap it.

on another note this car is an odd ball. Its an 03 Sebring LX. the rear struts are not listed at any auto parts store, except Autozone! they found a picture in their system but not for my model car. a few days ago I needed the blower motor resistor and again 01,02,03,04 doesn't list the correct resistor. mine was a large ceramic resistor. I found it through autozone when again none of the other auto parts stores listed the correct one.

any insight on the above greatly appreciated.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:55 AM

Is yours a coupe, convertible or sedan? Coupes were built by Mitsubishi, sedans and convertibles by Chrysler. Practically none of the parts are interchangeable.

As for the oddball wiring, better check with the previous owner on that. Maybe he had a trailer hitch at one point and wired the brake lights that way. Who knows?

Old 05-17-2017, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
Is yours a coupe, convertible or sedan? Coupes were built by Mitsubishi, sedans and convertibles by Chrysler. Practically none of the parts are interchangeable.

As for the oddball wiring, better check with the previous owner on that. Maybe he had a trailer hitch at one point and wired the brake lights that way. Who knows?

it is a coupe, as for the wiring I can't see why a key would be wired into the system let alone to the brake. looked on the internet for an ignition bypass fix but nothing about soldering in a key.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:22 PM

I wonder if someone bypassed the sentry key. The sentry key has a programmed chip that is required to start the car. If you get a sentry key near the ignition you can use a standard key to start the car. Some remote start kits use a Sentry key taped near the ignition so it can be started with a remote and no key.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:53 PM

I am slowly digging into this. I have no paperwork or history on this car. I believe it is a remote start system. what I have found is written on the black box Directed is the company, and the antenna hidden that has the words XR plus, can't find a model number. I worked on aircraft and whoever installed this did a terrible hack job. now if I can figure out the model of it. of course no keys or fobs.
so the splicing may not have anything to do with my brake light problem. unlike most of the posts on here. when I figure out my issues I will post my findings. was going to just junk the car but now I am curious of all this.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:40 PM

We had a member on the forum here complain about being unable to start the car. Turned out the credit agency holding her car note had installed a remotely controlled kill switch and they disabled her car when she fell behind on her payments. So who knows?

Old 05-19-2017, 04:43 PM

I am slowly solving my mystery. as far as the key wired under the dash, I found a video by Lessco electronics where they use a key and wrapped wires around it to bypass the security.
that mod uses a relay that some hack bonded to the face of the remote start that I never knew I had. in doing that they sanded off the model of the remote start. I have also found its a 160xv remote start by using date codes and other components and harness colors to narrow it down. ordered a fob to see if it works.
still need to work on my original issue of the brakes not working. 3rd brake light works normal but no left or right brake lights. switch tests good but for the price I will just replace it. more time to work on it over the weekend.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:13 PM

Check bulbs and grounds for the brake lights while you're at it.

Old 05-23-2017, 02:12 AM

messed with my daughters car over the weekend, brake lights were easy enough, ended up being both 1157 bulb filliments for the brake came lose and shorted across the tail lamp filliments. odd for both to do that. Blower only worked on 3 and 4 speed, AC only turned on at 1 and 2 speed but didn't blow. replaced the resistor and everything works as it should. was going to replace the blower but not for 90 dollars. for now. key fob arrived today so hopefully it programs to the remote start without to much of an issue.