Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2.7L problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 01:51 PM
Default RE: 2.7L problems

i m from the same place as you i only know anything about chryslers because ive owned used ones my whole life life sucks

Old 11-17-2005, 02:37 PM

yes and the more mistakes i make and the more people correct me the more we all learn

Old 11-17-2005, 02:44 PM

it probally does im not know it all i just love mopars

Old 11-17-2005, 02:52 PM

man you are verry sucsesful

Old 11-18-2005, 08:00 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: dusterdan

it probally does im not know it all i just love mopars
Same here, nice quad post though, lol

JXI - Das ist, jetzt wir sollte Forumraum, aufzunehmen stoppen lustig.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:22 PM

[]I found this forum while looking for info on the 2.7 Chrysler Motor. I have a small story to tell about a 2001 Sebring that my wife and I bought for my oldest daughter, and what happened to her car.

Back in November of 2007 my daughter found a car she liked and asked me to look at it. It was very clean and had a decent price on it with only 60,000 miles, so I helped her get the coin and signed some paper work. This car came from a Dealerthat said it was well serviced and was owned buy a local person, we all know how that goes. We got a 3 month 3000 mile warranty. Well about a month ago my daughter was coming home from work and called and said the car had died while going down the road at 60 mph. She said it started back up fine but was making a terrible noise. Atow truck and was sent from my small town, and a phone call from them saying they think the engine threw a rod.

Come to find out it did throw 2 road bearings, Dealer refused to cover, said we did not do the oil changes. My daughter only put 5000 miles on car and did one oil change. Well I had my local repair shop look into fixing it and found all the problems with these 2.7 motors. They pulled the engine and called me asking me to come to the shop and see what they found. After the engine was removed they pulled the valve cover and found slug so thick, it looked like tar covering everything. Therepair shop swore they had never seen anything like this that was this bad ever before.

Well, back to the dealer I go with pictures in hand and a lawyers phone number, and also the oil pan that looked like it had something living in it out of a swamp. They produced all the service records on this car, what few they hadwhen they sold it to me it had, come to find outit was on its2nd engine![:@]It seems that the original owners thought all you do it drive them and do nothing else. The service tech told me the first engine blew at 21000 miles due to oil slug and no oil changes. The dealer agreed to split the cost with me on all repairs, so this worked out.

We ended up getting a rebuilt 2.7 with a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty for $2700, this is an updated version that had a note attached to block saying if oil is not changed every 3000 miles, warranty is void, and to use synthetic only after the first 500 mile oil change. It also said to keep all records of service for oil changes for warranty work.

From what I have learned in the the past month about this motor, is it like to have clean oil in it, and changes no more than every 2500 to 3000 miles apart. My wifes car is a good show of that to, with245,000 miles on it, and she is still driving it everyday to work.

In my eye's the 2.7 is not a bad motor, its the idiots that don't take care of them that is the problem. As far as I am concerned after having to deal with this, I am sure there were some flukes out there that had real problems with the 2.7 engine.

Oil and filter are a cheap thing to do for a car, some people just don't see it that way though. If I were to buy another 2.7 in a Chrysler I would request the valve cover be pulled or an engine camera take a look in the engine. This is my whole feeling on this motor, I would guess that 25% of the gripes are from the real world problems with the engines.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator