Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2002 sebring coupe does not start

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 05:28 PM
Default 2002 sebring coupe does not start

let me make a correction first-it's a 2001 sebring coupe with v6 3.0L engine. and it's automatic transmission.
the car's been sitting in the driveway for a few months due to not paying attention while in the process of few other repairs. (long story but to make it short, it's got an engine swap and a timing belt replaced and few other things)
at first, the car wouldn't start, but would make a crank noise, so I suspected a bad starter.
so after replacing the starter w/ new aftermarket one, the car started no problem.
(this was about two weeks ago)
so far I've replaced the pcv valve, and changed the engine oil, and drain and fill the transmission fluid.
the car ran smooth and there was really no problem until today.
basically, I stopped by at a rite-aid store on my way home, and when I tried to start the car, it wouldn't start-not even cranking, basically engine would not turn over at all.
initially, the window worked, but now nothing seems to be functioning except the headlight.

I know it could be lots of things that could be the cause, but if someone has a similar experience or can narrow down to a possible cause, I'd greatly appreciate it.

ps. if some of you suspect a faulty/blown fuse, what kind of fuse would cause a problem like this?

Last edited by sebringphanatic; 08-13-2009 at 05:33 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:46 AM
Default the car's at a body shop now

after not getting much of a feedback regarding the issue, I had no choice but to tow the car to a nearby body shop that I usually go to.
the mechanic diagnosed the car briefly, and suspected that it's the faulty starter and a possibly burned wiring from the starter. (not sure why)
I did replace the starter myself recently, but since I bought an aftermarket one, he told me that the aftermarket starters are mostly junks, and they are usually either defective or doesn't last as long-basically it's a waste of money.
anyway, he'll replace the starter and possibly look into the wiring as well. (altogether it cost me $320)
hopefully, this'll solve the issue and it won't cause me any more problem. (I already spent over 2g's due to timing belt change and engine swap so I really cannot afford to spend any more money into this car)
I'll try to update how this'll turn out later on. (hopefully this'll help others who are going through a similar issue)

Old 08-15-2009, 08:25 PM
Default problem solved-it was the faulty starter and the burned fuseable link

I just got the car today, and the car runs fine now. (he replaced the starter with a remanufactured one-probably from autozone or something)
I wish I could've done this myself, but I didn't have much of a choice as I needed to use the car asap.
anyway, I had to pay to learn my lesson, and I strongly advise to you all-do NOT buy car parts from ebay especially like a starter. (maybe most of you know this already, but I hope that this message can get to someone who may think otherwise)

Old 08-16-2009, 08:48 AM
Ram

Sorry to hear of the issues with the starter. You can not be sure when a used piece will fail. Good to see all ended happy.