Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2004 Knocking from front end

Old 02-26-2008, 12:27 PM
Default 2004 Knocking from front end

My wife's 04 Sebring is knocking in the front end somewhere. It does it at all speeds and is not a consistent knock. It may do it for a while then stop and not start up again for a few days. Driving us nuts and the dealer can't figure out what it is. I am thinking it is suspension related. Anyone have a clue???

Thanks,

Old 02-26-2008, 12:58 PM
Default RE: 2004 Knocking from front end

try taking it to a front end shop. I had problem and it was bushings in the lower control arm.. the bushing goes into the body and the rubber part can come out. it's not cheap to replace, but the part is only 45 per sidekit give you two bushings,, i only replaced the larger bushing on both sides.

it's hard to even see the bushings unless you know what to look for andjack the car up or have it on a hoist,
The lower control arm is a three point mount the one part that goes into the body of the car is the part with LIKLEy theissue,,,i csn't see it or hear it over this computer connection...
HOWEVER if you take ittoto a front end aligment shop and have them check you bushings anda quick check on the outer tie rod ends,( Smart thing to do and only take 2 minutes if car is up in the air).

if that is the issue any shop would not do an alligment until the bushings are replaced ...look at tires for wear as well that might give you a clue as well.

good luck and again this is one possibilty

Old 02-26-2008, 01:17 PM

We just put new tires on the car about 2 months ago. Plus the car tracks straight down the road and doesn't pull to one side or the other. The car broke down on us about 1 month ago, we heard the popping sound, the car started to miss out and then the CEL came on. Had to have it towed to the dealer, where they said we had a #1 cylinder misfire. They replace all the plugs and added new spark plug wires. We thought all was fine and the the popping/knocking sound started again 2 days later. Engine runs fine and no problems there.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:05 AM

Maybe someone else has an answer.
I have had both issuse
1. On acceleration SOMETIMNES it would backfire through the intake, plus and wires took care of that 4 me as well.

2.popping noise from the front end with the bushings i wrote about, I only found this out becasue i took it in becasue my rear toe was off.I replaced the lower control arm(INBOARD attached to the body )bushings. Thepoping noise over bumps went away ,it still needs an alligment but the popping noise clealry stopped.

happy motoring

What fun removing the lower control arms.