Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2008 Sebring 2.4L tuning questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2021, 11:16 PM
Default 2008 Sebring 2.4L tuning questions...

Well, has anyone either tuned their car, or had it tuned?

If so, what did you use? Chassis dyno? Mail-order tune? Laptop?

Did you mess with the VVT tables? If so, I am very interested.

Transmission shift points or line pressure? Pretty interested in this, too.

Can you tune "out" the variable runner flaps in the intake? Just open them and leave them, and not throw a code when I remove the stupid device that operates the flaps... is that possible?

Anyone remove their catalytic converter and adjust the tune to not throw a code?

Old 06-29-2021, 04:48 AM

a non turbo engine tuning
you dont get much horsepower with tuning

Old 06-29-2021, 09:15 AM

I am not necessarily looking for more power, although I am sure an increase in power will be an inevitable consequence of my modifications. I am more trying to update, rather than upgrade.

Everything from the factory is going to be pretty conservative in regards to tuning. Mild static compression, and I can only assume they kept the dynamic compression relatively neutered, as well. Had to make it safe for crappy fuel, just in case.

Dual VVT can control overlap, and overlap can be used to control cylinder pressure. So, even within the relatively fixed parameters of the OEM combustion chamber, OEM head gasket, and OEM cams... we can control cam timing and ignition timing. Both of which can be optimized for better fuel, because I don't feed my cars $#!+ gas.

Eventually, I am going to swap in the v6 flex fuel pump and flex fuel lines (they now share an updated part number for the pump/lines), so I xan burn corn... it's 2021, and the age of burning dinosaurs is coming to an end. If you want your vehicle to remain relevant, it must be updated.

When I switch it to flex fuel, I will see about shaving the factory head to increase static compression. The real limiting factors on how far I can go are dynamic compression ratio, unsolvable piston to valve geometry, and (obviously) the thickness of the deck on the actual head, itself.

Being able to tune where the VVT puts the overlap would be a huge step towards mitigating both issues... you can use overlap to bleed cylinder pressure, or the lack thereof to trap it... you can time the cams to keep the valves away from the pistons, to a certain degree (see what I did there?)...

Then, you just add as much timing as your fuel allows. Sure, power will probably increase, but that's not the goal. The goal is more to just optimize what is already there. Efficency is a higher priority than any increase in raw power.