Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

A604 41TE Transmission Bump Shifting (SOLVED)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2022, 10:20 AM
Default A604 41TE Transmission Bump Shifting (SOLVED)

Hello everybody from Turkey!
I have a 2003 Chrysler Sebring with A604/41TE transmission.
For some time, i have this infamous "bump shift" between 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 1st shifts. Mostly it was double-tapping before the second gear and was briefly stop-bumping before coming to a stop slowly.
I've changed;
- the transmission fluid - NOTHING
- transmission solenoid and input&output sensors - NOTHING
- brand new alternator and battery - NOTHING
- then i've changed the Ignition Starter Switch, then the bumps become more subtle. BUT it was still there and was still driving me crazy..
After that (as a computer geek myself) i thouht that even if a fraction of interruption in electricity flow cause the electric parts/electronics go crazy and do stupid things
so today after starting the car, i freed the steering wheel adjustment lever and i shook my steering wheel up and down very hard. Like think yourself as shaking a dirty bed sheet off your balcony. VERY FAST Up- and down-UP-down.... shook it like that couple of times. (10-15 times)
AND GUESS WHAT. Transmission bump is COMPLETELY GONE. The car is really SMOOTH now.
SO it seems either my ignition cylinder is loose and going bad (due to age) or the cables that come from ignition starter switch are bad somehow. That it continuously cause milisecond-cuts in electricity causing either sensors or TCM act weird.
I suggest to GIVE IT A TRY before spending thousands of dollars on transmission rebuild. Maybe your problem is solely electrical (like mine) and your transmission is completely ok.
1) Change your Ignition Starter Switch 2) Change your Ignition Cylinder 3) Check the cables going into the ignition starter switch
This was a nightmare for me so i decided to share it to help other chrysler/dodge owners. Thank you.