Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

A/C compressor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 09:37 PM
Default A/C compressor replacement

Hey guys, I came up with another idea for the compressor.Since the problem is with the A/C comp. pulley bearing I decided to replace that bearing instead of replacing the whole unit.This way I wouldn't have to open the lines and deal with all the gas and oil.So I bought a new bearing, got all the tools I needed and started it.Took the old one out and put the new one in carefully.Everything went good and smooth until I was puting the lock washer.I don't know if it was from pounding the pulley.I tried to go as even as I can without putting so much pressure. Anyway, a piese of the compressor broke off (The nose of the comp.).It is the part that holds the little bearing for the clutch.SO I GOT SCREWED.
Now my question is: If you unscrew the 8 bolts behind the pulley, would you be able to take the whole shaft with the little bearings out and if you pull that out would the gas come out. I am thinking to get another used comressor and to take the front part of it.I could use my pulley with the new bearing on it.
I will appreciate any help.The car is siting on the jack and I'm thinking what's the best to do.Is anybody have a pics of compressor taken apart. I don't know if I'm explaining right where exactly the piese broke off.It is the part that the inner ring of the comp. pulley bearing slides in.The front part of this along with the little bearing broke off.

Any Ideas

Last edited by Naison; 03-12-2009 at 06:06 AM.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:05 PM

Yes, if you remove the face plate, the gas will come out. There's no choice now, you need to replace the compressor.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:44 AM
Default A/C compressor replacement

What are the chanses to get temporary belt to by-pass the A/C comp.
Does anybody know what size maybe from another car or something.The Car is about 40miles away now from the closest bodyshop and I'll need them to evacuate the system.
Thanks

Old 03-13-2009, 01:56 PM

These aren't exactly muscle cars, so I don't know how many people think to bypass the A/C, but maybe someone will know. You could use an old belt to "measure" the length you neet by wrapping it around the crank and alt pulleys and either cutting it or marking it, then go to a parts place to get a belt of the right length if avail.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:12 AM

Of course, if you were totally environmentally insensitive, you would just let the refrigerant out of the system. And, being such a selfish and insensitive clod, you would do so very carefully so as not to injure yourself since the gas escaping can be very cold and cause burns as a result. Then, having repaired the system with a new compressor, you would begin to feels pangs of guilt and remorse, and then you would drive the car to a proper facility for evacuation and recharge. This is all hypothetical of course, as I am sure no one would ever behave in such a fashion. Just as I am sure we all go around and evacuate out A/C systems prior to being involved in an accident that might puncture them.