Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Chrysler 200 - to buy or not to buy

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 11:03 PM
Default Chrysler 200 - to buy or not to buy

My wife and I are currently looking to buy a used vehicle in the range of 12k - 14k. We were looking for a sedan with a little pizazz to it, but also one that had a moderate towing capacity to tow a small trailer with a ride-on mower on board occasionally for just a few miles (total of around 900lb). From what I've read the 200 fits the bill as far as the towing is concerned, so we started giving it a serious look, not least because I've surprisingly been finding a lot of them in our price range. It was only after doing some homework that I realized why - that ghastly German transmission and the kiss of death it gave to the car's reputation for reliability.

On the one hand I'm inclined to look elsewhere, on the other a part of me keeps thinking they could be a really good deal given how much their resale value has gone down in light of the issues. My understanding is that Chrysler finally ironed out the kinks last year with the major recall, but obviously people on here would know far more than I do on that score - which is why I'm here. You can find 2016 models with fairly low mileage within the price range we're looking at, so for at least the next couple of years we'd still have the full warranty, and after that the drivetrain warranty would kick in, so for the foreseeable future we'd be covered anyway. It's a shame with all those issues that Chrysler didn't follow Nissan's lead regarding their CVT unit by simply issuing a 10 year/120,000 mile warranty on the transmission to win back consumer confidence.

So what's the view, have the kinks been ironed out enough that we can buy a 2016 model with confidence, with the cover of the remaining warranty thrown in? And/or are their other issues we should be aware of?

Thanks in advance

Old 10-06-2017, 06:41 AM

Have you found a car in your year/warranty/price range, without "issues" to soothe your mind? ALL cars have some sort of issues..maybe try a horse and wagon,Oh but then there are specific issues for the proper use and care of those also. ...LOL

Old 10-06-2017, 10:27 AM

Now there's the kind of intelligent and helpful response one always looks forward to reading on forums like this. Congratulations on such a stellar example of why many forums eventually die out because of the basic disinclination of people to run the gamut of the resident trolls who perpetually lurk on them. Instead of helpful advice and the exchange of information one gets childish drivel. Get a life.

'All cars have issues?' - You really thought that one up all on your own? Not all cars get major recalls for a troublesome (and expensive) transmission, nor a shredded reputation and price-point for a vehicle based on those issues, nor do they generate a slew of articles condemning said transmission and Chrysler's faux pas in foisting it on the general public without fully testing it. Go and do some research on the matter - or get someone to read the articles for you if they're beyond your basic comprehension. I was looking for an aficionado's knowledge (in very simplified terms, just for you, that means someone who really really likes the car) on the subject that might have put up a good argument for the 200 and pointed out that the kinks in the transmission may have eventually been ironed out to a point where people such as myself could buy one in relative confidence sans the general maintenance issues that invariably crop up with any car.

A good example is the Nissan Maxima, who's 7th incarnation generated negative publicity due to the new CVT gearbox they installed in the model and which began to earn the car a reputation for idiosyncratic behavior and unreliability. Being the canny company that they are, Nissan jumped on the issue and not only came up with a solution (the CVT needed a stronger steel belt) but they allayed the fears of the car's enthusiasts and potential buyers by handing out a 10 year/120,000 mile warranty on the transmissions. It was a smart move that saved the car's otherwise excellent reputation and ongoing viability.

So next time you decide to share your submental attitude with everyone, note the subheading for the site - 'The definitive Chrysler Enthusiasts Forum' - and ponder what kind of role your behavior plays in maintaining it's ongoing viability and reputation. I own two other Chrylser products, a Dodge RAM conversion van and a PT Cruiser, so it could hardly be said I have an agenda with Chrysler products.

Last edited by timbo59; 10-06-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:40 PM

And some people have NO sense of HUMOR either!
Good hunting for your next auto purchase,whatever it may be.