Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Confused

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 11:39 AM
Question Confused

Im going to admit i havent done anything but take the wheel off so far. but I want to see if this problem jumps out to anyone. I bought the car and was told the transmission was bad, when looking at it before buying it starts fine but when put in gear Drive, Reverse, 1, 2 it doesnt move, but it almost has some pull but not much, also had a god awful noise like something was turning when giving it gas but just wouldnt move. now just sitting there for the few seconds that i was i was thinking maybe the bolts were out of torque converter (thats just what it sounded like - im not saying thats what it is)

i buy the car and get it home unloaded off dolly in my shop and start it up put it in drive and it went foward like nothing was wrong with it. But it would not go in reverse.

I will keep this post updated as i progress because i couldn't find a related thread on a similar problem.

thanks for any help/advise or just thoughts of what it could be?

Old 07-19-2012, 08:10 PM

Codes. Are there any codes?

Old 07-20-2012, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Thundercraft
Codes. Are there any codes?

No codes.

fiddled around last night, and there was no fluid either ha (sorry)

I will add today and replace filter to make sure thats not the problem.

Guy I bought it from told me he changed it, thats why i didnt think about checking it first. He had no reason to lie, since we were thinking it was a bad transmission anyway. But its hard for me to belive the fluid is gone, and its only been sitting in his yard for a few weeks.

sure would be nice if that was the problem (hoping we didnt hurt anything else, while letting it run (on jack stands) for awhile.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:00 PM

I have a 1996 Sebring Jxi V6, needs new transmission im assuming. it will go in drive but not reverse and after it runs for a while it gets a horrible squeal/grinding noise.

i have found a couple transmissions for sale locally from wrecked cars, but they are 1998 models. Will they work in my car?

Do they have to have the same exact motor?

Do they have to have a certin kind of transmission even if they do have the same engine?

What year sebrings can i pull a transmission out of and use (assuming i can)? is it standard like 1996 thru 2000 (thats just an example i personally have no ideal)

Old 07-20-2012, 08:34 PM

I can't answer your question. I am assuming you tried the oil and that wasn't the problem?

Old 07-22-2012, 10:08 PM

Fluid did not help at all, and still no codes.