Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Error P0125 on my 1997 sebring

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 11:43 AM
Angry Error P0125 on my 1997 sebring

I checked, error P0125 is "Insufficient Temp for Closed Loop Fuel Control".
Does anyone know if this can be fixed by replacing the thermostat? I want to do it myself, but I can't figure out where the thermostat's location. Has anyone ever done this? Is it too difficult a job for most people? Please help, I'm on tight budget, and I can't spend hundreds of $ to fix this. Thanks.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:58 AM

It's a 1997 JX conv.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:26 PM
Default If its the thermostat then what?

If its the thermostat you're looking to replace, i would first ask, what engine do you have?

2.0L Mitsu 4 cyclinder or the 2.5L V6 ?

If its the V6 that lives under the hood, i'd suggest you have a mechanic replace the thermostat as it is under a housing that has the radiator cap integrated to it.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Default Thermostat? Maybe.

Yes, it is a V6 2.5L engine. I'm not 100% sure if thermostat is the problem. A friend of mine said that I should try to replace the thermostat (only about $20), but he's no expert.

Anyway, thanks for the info. If it's under the radiator cap, I think I will try to get the thermostat replaced myself.

If anyone is familiar with error P0125, please let me know what else, other than thermostat, could cause the error. THANKS.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:29 PM

I think you are on the right track with your diagnosis of a problem with the thermostat. That code is a report from the engine computer that the car is taking too long to warm up. There's a remote chance that you are just low on coolant and the temperature sensor is dry as a result but if that were the case you'd have other problems, such as heater not working. If the heater seems to be putting out plenty of heat, then the problem could be a bad sensor.
You might want to invest about $20 in a Haynes manual to guide you through the repair. In the long run, it can save you big bucks.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:11 AM
Default It puts out plenty of heat

and coolant level is just fine. So you're saying the problem could be the water temp. sensor. That makes sense. Do you know the general location of that temp sensor? Per your advice, I ordered Chilton's repair manual from Amazon.com.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:29 PM

On your engine it's right there by the coolant fill cap.
That's the pressure cap.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:25 PM

I need some help on this as well...

I like in a remote area, and my 97 Sebring Conv. 2.5L is in dire need of help.

A couple of months ago, I noticed while getting take-away at the drive thru, my temp was elevating slightly while waiting, I didn't think too much of it at that moment, figuring it was probably either I needed more fluid or a thermostat.

I used to hear some squeaking from the fan area, but lately, it hasn't been making that squeaking sound, but I'm not sure the fan even comes on anymore either.

Then, a few weeks later, the Service Engine Soon light came on, and while getting groceries, I put it in reverse, and it began to spudder somewhat & sounded like it was knocking(?) a bit. I gave it some gas, and it seem to be ok.

I had a diagnostic done & I believe I got this exact same code. Then this past Thursday, on a trip to Thanksgiving dinner, about 40 miles away, I got about 5 miles, then it was in the red & the Temp light came on. I pulled over, and added some radiator fluid to the overflow & let it cool down. We put the heat on, and it was almost cold air at that point.

Got about 3 miles & it was doing the same thing again, Hot & light. So, I just pulled over off the Interstate & waited. After finally getting some help from the dinner guests to come out, we got it nursed another 5 miles or so, then it happened again.

Turns out the belt was rubbing along the engine area & was straining. Got that fixed & was again trying to get it to my friends house so we could work on it. But now, the Oil light comes on & we find some light smoking coming from under the hood.

Once we got it there, we tightened the belt, & are in the process of getting at the Thermostat, so we can test it out to see if it is bad or not. At this point, the fan is most definitely not coming on (tried turning it by hand & it does turn). We opened the radiator cap & poured water directly into the radiator, to was looking to cycle it thru. The water did not come thru the system to the overflow container, & began to lightly boil over the radiator intake.

So, were still trying to locate the thermostat on this Sebring so we can test it out.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:47 PM

Follow the upper radiator hose to a dome-shaped housing to find where the thermostat lives. Its inside that housing. Observe very carefully how the thermostat is oriented in there before pulling it out so you can put it back in properly. Eliminate other (more likely) causes of overheating before you tear that thermostat out.