Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Help with 2003 Sebring Trunk

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 07:54 PM
Default Help with 2003 Sebring Trunk

I have a 2003 Sebring I bought nearly 2 years ago with 183,000 miles. Runs great.

I live in an apartment complex and recently when I attempted to go somewhere late one evening, I found the driver's door slightly ajar. The domelight has never worked, but I knew when the odometer didn't light up the battery had been drained. I walked back to the trunk to get an 800 amp portable battery jumper I carry and found the trunk slightly ajar, too.

Someone had stolen the portable battery jumper, and an OD-green Army-style shoulder satchel from the trunk.

My questions:

1) if there is an interior trunk release, where exactly is it located?

2) can you disable the interior trunk release?

I used to have a 1987 Lebaron and it had a "valet-switch." It was just a sturdy plastic switch located on the trunk-rim that you flipped to disable the interior trunk-release, so that the only way to get into the trunk was with the key.

Does the 2003 Sebring have something like that? I examined the trunk and the only thing I could find is the trunk safety-release in case you're trapped in the trunk.

I normally leave the car unlocked, because there are never valuables in the interior, only insurance, maintenance and registration papers, and I don't want someone breaking a window to get in, and now that someone (either one of the other 161 residents of the complex or their friends that visit) knows they can get into the trunk, I don't want to lock the car, because they'll just break the windows out to search the trunk.

Solutions or other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:21 AM

In the sedan and convertible, the trunk release is on the dash, below the mirror control, to the left of the steering column. I don't know where it would be on a coupe. That's the kind of thing an owners manual would tell you. My trunk release won't work without the key being in place, but it's a convertible so the reason for that is obvious.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
In the sedan and convertible, the trunk release is on the dash, below the mirror control, to the left of the steering column. I don't know where it would be on a coupe. That's the kind of thing an owners manual would tell you. My trunk release won't work without the key being in place, but it's a convertible so the reason for that is obvious.
Thanks, I'll take a look at that. I have tried and failed to find an owner's manual on the internet, but I'll keep looking.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:35 PM

They come up on eBay every once in a while. Jerks who don't leave it in the car when they sell it try to make a few bucks that way. You have to keep looking. If yours is a coupe, get the coupe manual. Coupes were built by Mitsubishi and have almost nothing in common with the sedan/convertible built by Chrysler.