Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Intermittent Crank but No Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 02:54 PM
Default Intermittent Crank but No Start

I have a 2005 Sebring Convertible 2.7L V6 - Wife was driving around making frequent stops on what turned out to be the last stop - the vehicle cranked but would not start - so she left it and bummed a ride. I came later car fired right up. Next morning started up then moments later after shutting it off It went back to the cranking but not starting condition. Checked OBD codes and have none. After a couple minutes started again, was driven a few miles then stopped - same crank no start condition occurred. Car has continued the intermittent behavior all day today. I am thinking perhaps I need to try the crank sensor...but would appreciate any advice.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:50 PM

Did you check for manufacturer-specific codes? That's where I found codes for crankshaft position sensor and cam position sensor.

Additionally, on my truck, my MAF sensor failed, but they can get dirty, too - and that can be enough to cause a no-start condition as well.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by 17FiXxXeR75
Did you check for manufacturer-specific codes? That's where I found codes for crankshaft position sensor and cam position sensor.

Additionally, on my truck, my MAF sensor failed, but they can get dirty, too - and that can be enough to cause a no-start condition as well.
I am using a simple Autel Code Reader - I assume it checks all manufacturer specific codes, but I can't say for sure. I have never used it on this vehicle, but it has been effective on a Nissan I had before. It came up with 'no codes' when I used the reader on the Sebring.

I would assume if it was the cam or maf sensor malfunctioning I would receive some sort of code or at least drive-ability issues. Plus I think generally the maf failing trips the engine light and that has remained off. I will definately look at it though.

The reason I was considering the Crank Sensor is that I have heard before that it can malfunction and not send a signal to the computer during the cranking process. That lack of communication makes the computer not start the engine and it does not register a code either. Changing it would be purely a guess based on other posts I have seen.

I have also seen references to the Wireless Control Module - which I think is part of the ECM/PCM causing this issue, but I haven't researched that much yet.

My wife has the vehicle now...hopefully she makes it home and I will work on it again tonight. I almost wish it would just break and stay broken...intermittent stinks.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:23 AM

First please do the following: Trun off and on ignition for 3 times, then turn on ignition and read your error codes in the display.

If it's P0340: Exchange the camshaft position sensor (about 30$).

Depending on mileage and age of the car they are known to produce this error.

In case your crank shaft sensor is dead or about to die you are going to find error P0335

Old 12-13-2013, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by gb1994
First please do the following: Trun off and on ignition for 3 times, then turn on ignition and read your error codes in the display.

If it's P0340: Exchange the camshaft position sensor (about 30$).

Depending on mileage and age of the car they are known to produce this error.

In case your crank shaft sensor is dead or about to die you are going to find error P0335
Thanks...I have had two uneventful days without the issues arising. But I know they will return. I appreciate the suggestion, I will give it a try.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by eriemon
Thanks...I have had two uneventful days without the issues arising. But I know they will return. I appreciate the suggestion, I will give it a try.
Still no codes and no more occurrences of the no start issue...guess I will have to wait for my wife to get stranded again. Not a good scenario.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:24 AM

lol

Same happened to me; all of a sudden the problem seemed to have disappeared after the occurrence was only sporadically (P0340) before. I had to wait for the sensors about 3 weeks (they came from Florida). And just right in the moment where I thought it was gone the engine stalled on a red light again.
--The exchange of the cam shaft position sensor takes 5 minutes. Problem solved for maybe the next 65,000 miles.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by gb1994
lol

Same happened to me; all of a sudden the problem seemed to have disappeared after the occurrence was only sporadically (P0340) before. I had to wait for the sensors about 3 weeks (they came from Florida). And just right in the moment where I thought it was gone the engine stalled on a red light again.
--The exchange of the cam shaft position sensor takes 5 minutes. Problem solved for maybe the next 65,000 miles.
The cam and crank sensors are both pretty reasonable...I might just go ahead and make a preemptive strike and hope I don't get that stuck on the side of the road call again.