Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Issues with my 2010 Sebring hard top convertibile

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2023, 05:46 PM
Default Issues with my 2010 Sebring hard top convertibile

So. It looks like I'm the new owner of a 2010 Sebring hard top convertible. Car looks good, but has some odd issues that I'm hoping to get some help with here. It has the 3.5l engine with 250,000kms on it. It feels solid, has lots of pep, and drives nice.

1. The drivers seat belt sensor doesn't detect when the seatbelt is clipped. Any idea where the sensor is? Is this a difficult fix?

2. The power trunk release does not work, using the remote or the dash button. Inserting the key into the lock works fine.

3. The sensor that detects when the roof is securely closed does not work, even though the roof is closed and clamped down. Is this sensor easy to get at and replace?

4. The touchscreen on the radio/nav unit doesn't work. The radio seems fine otherwise. Steering wheel controls work. If I find another identical stereo, can I just swap them out or will I need to get the replacement programmed into the car at the dealership? Should I be considering an aftermarket unit? If so, can someone suggest something that will maintain the steering wheel controls?

5. A/C does not blow cold. Hopefully just needs a recharge, but we will see.

6. The check engine light is on, yet doing the key dance does not get me any codes. I just get -done-. I was told that it's a leaky air box, but I am thinking something else. I plan on having my mechanic pull the codes with his reader.

Any and all help is really appreciated!

Old 05-28-2023, 09:27 PM

You will need to have the dtc's (diagnostic codes) pulled for the SRS/airbag system for the seatbelt lamp, ptcm (power top control module) for the roof not securing, and pcm (powertrain control module) for the the CEL lamp.

1. seat belt - There are many reasons for the seatbelt lamp to be lit. The SRS dtc's need to be pulled to assist in determining what is being reported.

2. trunk release does not work - If the ptcm does not see the top as being fully closed the dash trunk button and key fob button will be disabled.

3. power top - What message is being displayed in the EVIC, "top not secure' indicates the header latch is not being seen as fully latched. The dtc's from the ptcm will indicate what is being reported. There are a number of sensors pertaining to the power top. If the 'top not secure' is displayed it is possible the sensor is faulty but it is also possible the latch motor is not able to fully move the latch assembly completely. It may be the latch motor is 'tired' or the latch assembly needs to be lubed.

4. radio nav - Not able to help much. There is a method to reset the radio but I am not aware of it. It is possible to replace the radio. A replacement radio needs to be a low-speed can-bus unit. If you get a replacement of the same model, it is likely you will need the anti-theft PIN code to unlock the radio or the VIN of the vehicle the radio came out of so a dealer can pull the PIN from the chrysler corporate database.

5. ac not cold - needs to be checked for leaks. I do not suggest dumping in a can of freon without having a set of gauges to monitor pressures.

6. CEL lamp - you are correct, you will need to have the dtc's pulled.

There are 2 other websites that may be useful, 'sebringclub.net' dedicated to sebring/200 convertibles and 'allpar.com' handing all mopars with a number of techs with access to chrysler service procedures and diagnostic trouble-shooting.

Last edited by ggoose; 05-28-2023 at 09:36 PM.
Old 05-29-2023, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by ggoose
You will need to have the dtc's (diagnostic codes) pulled for the SRS/airbag system for the seatbelt lamp, ptcm (power top control module) for the roof not securing, and pcm (powertrain control module) for the the CEL lamp.
There are 2 other websites that may be useful, 'sebringclub.net' dedicated to sebring/200 convertibles and 'allpar.com' handing all mopars with a number of techs with access to chrysler service procedures and diagnostic trouble-shooting.
Thank you for the great reply! Hopefully my mechanic isn't too busy tomorrow and I can get a good read on the codes.

Old 05-29-2023, 03:15 PM

There is a site dedicated to Sebring/200 drop tops that may be more help.
As far as top& trunk related issues, a harness on the right rear of the trunk is the usual suspect. Broken wires from constant flexing cause issues with the top and trunk.
HVAC Issues need some some gauges and troubleshooting to find the root cause. I did have a compressor fail and an evaporator leak on our 08
Key Dance / ON OFF ON OFF ON Will show codes on the ODO.

Old 05-29-2023, 08:36 PM
Exclamation Now I am in trouble! Windows won't close completely.

I don't know what changed, but now my windows won't close completely. I assume it's because of the roof sensor not knowing that the roof is closed completely.

Is there a way to trick the windows to close completely in this case?