Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

New 04 Sebring Ltd Convertible Owner-once over advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 01:06 PM
Default New 04 Sebring Ltd Convertible Owner-once over advice

I just purchased a 2004 Sebring Ltd Convertible. Had (having) a couple minor issues and after scrolling through pages and pages here, thinking I want to take it somewhere and get it “checked out”. I don’t want some mechanic messing with stuff so that I’m having to get repairs or being fed bad info.

any suggestions? Any suggestions as to what I should have looked at and what I should expect to pay.

Trying to learn as much as I can and be proactive. I HATE CAR ISSUES

(Maybe advice where I could take a basic mechanics course)

Old 08-12-2020, 03:51 PM

The most important thing to be aware of if you take it to a mechanic is the amount of trust you have in the mechanic. Talk to friends and relatives to see whom they might recommend in your town. Cars are complicated, with many different systems, any of which can have their own issues. A shop that is good on transmissions may not know much about engines. Shops that know all about convertible tops may not know anything about brakes. The car is going on 17 years old so don't expect it to be trouble-free.
You might want to invest in a shop manual from Haynes or Chilton's (search the web) to learn how basic repairs are made so you can discuss repairs more intelligently with your mechanic(s) when they arise.

In the meantime, make sure basic maintenance is taken care of. Oil and filter changes need to be done at the specified intervals, brakes should be checked for wear, batteries don't live forever, etc, etc. The Shop manuals mentioned above will have information on what needs to be done when and how. If you are serious about taking a course in mechanics, check out your local community college, but their courses are probably more specialized and detailed than you need.

If you really "hate car issues", buying a car that's 2/3rds of the way to being an antique might not have been the best choice. Good luck, and if you run into a specific problem, come back here and post up your questions. Somebody might have an answer for you.