Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Overheating/Water pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 10:54 PM

Thanks you guys! Got the new water pump on after cleaning the deck and chasing the threads on the block..heads go on tomorrow..stay tune for more pics of the process..DC your Sebring looks FANTASTIC!!! love them pics..

Old 08-26-2011, 08:58 PM

Here's an update on the progress...Heads are installed, lower intake installed, fuel rail installed, and exhaust manifolds installed..here are some pics..Wanted to mention to everyone...donted forget to install the knock sensor located on the back head that's installed underneath the lower intake...and also I picked up a digital torque adapter made by Powerbuilt, it was extremely handy...check it out!

Attached Thumbnails Overheating/Water pump-head-install-8-26-11-005a.jpg   Overheating/Water pump-head-install-8-26-11-006a.jpg   Overheating/Water pump-head-install-8-26-11-008a.jpg   Overheating/Water pump-head-install-8-26-11-009a.jpg  
Old 08-29-2011, 10:01 PM

DC I'm at a stand still again..ordered a new timing chain kit and waiting for it to arrive, should be here wednesday..I thought it would be a good idea to replace the guides, chains and sprockets and tensioner since there the orginal equipment from 01..I didn't look to see if the wear limit on the tensioner was showing when I took the back valve cover off...more to come..

Old 08-30-2011, 04:57 PM

Timing chains are generally supposed to be 'life of the vehicle' type things, but if you have the time and money, you might as well while you're in there for the added peace of mind.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:00 AM

I believe there was a change in the chain so that if you change the water pump now you pretty much have to change the chain and the whole kit and kaboodle in there. Re-installing the chain has been discussed on line here several times, so if you get stumped, browse through some old threads and you might find what you need to know. Be advised that after it's all together, the first start-up will be pretty noisy until the oil pressure pumps up the tensioner.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:26 PM

DC, Thanks for the info! Got my kit in today....here's a pic....now to get the crankshaft sprocket off and new one on without moving anything!!

Attached Thumbnails Overheating/Water pump-timing-kit-001a.jpg  
Old 09-03-2011, 09:42 PM

Hey DC, I have a question on the cams and the timing marks..I didn't really pay a much attention to the short cam chains as much as the primary. Here's a question about the short chains..standing in front of the engine..cams on the left next to the firewall only have dots which I lined up with the colored links in the 12 oclock position 90 degrees from the head surface. But the right cam sprockets on the radiator side has dots and triangles...if you put the colored link on the dot it is not in the 12 oclock p. but if you line up the triangles its good to go...just wanted to ask...I can take some pics if necessary...

Attached Thumbnails Overheating/Water pump-camm3-003a.jpg  

Last edited by Greg; 09-04-2011 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Pic
Old 09-04-2011, 02:10 PM

From the service manual:

"Count chain pins from the mark on the intake camshaft towards the exhaust camshaft. Engine is timed correctly when there are 12 chain pins between the timing marks on the intake camshaft and exhaust camshaft."

From what I see on your picture, you have it right.

With the cams in this position, the crankshaft should be at TDC for #1 cylinder on the exhaust stroke.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:00 PM

Thanks DC!, Yeah I was having a some trouble deciding about the triangle or dot on the camshafts and realized that the large cam sprocket on the radiator side has a triangle on it, so I determined that the triangles on the Intake and exhaust cams on that side was what I needed to line up on.. anyway I took the old crankshaft pulley off and put the new one on this afternoon, so should be able to get the primary chain on tomorrow.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:30 AM

Make sure not to turn the crank while the cams are not connected via the timing chain. We don't want to bend the valves against a piston.

Quick Reply: Overheating/Water pump