Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Upgrading Audio System

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 08:11 PM
Default Upgrading Audio System

This is going to be my first post on here so I apologize in advance for any mistakes.

I own a 2002 Chrysler Sebring Convertible LXi with the Infinity system installed. I am planning to upgrade the stock speakers in the doors and mid panels. I have already upgraded the head unit and had no problems. I now am trying to install new speakers. The speakers sound fine... for 15 years ago. I am looking to add just a little bit more punch in the low end, and a cleaner sound. I have run into a few concerns I have, though.

The first problem; the speakers. In the door speakers, only lows are playing, no highs or mids. Both sides are like this. I have tried changing settings in my head unit to correct the problem, but I have yet to find a fix. I am afraid that if I proceed and install new speakers, only lows will play on them as well. Is this a problem or is it meant to be like this? And if it is a problem, is it the speakers themselves, or is it the amplifier installed under the passenger seat? I also have some concerns about bypassing or upgrading the amp. I have been told that if you do, you may lose your tweeters in the dash. If anyone has done this, let me know if this is true or not and the pros and cons of upgrading the speakers.

Another problem that really isn't a problem, just a cosmetic detail. With the premium radio, there is also a 4 slot cd player located behind the cup holders in the front. It has been rendered inoperable by the new head unit. Is there any way to install either a cover or a compartment to put in its place? It just looks hideous there and just taking up space because it's not being used.

Old 11-21-2017, 02:34 PM

Hello

I purchased a Chrysler 300 and has the 6 speaker system. Nobody can tell me the brand name of the amplifier but the sound coming out of the nickel and dime speakers was just God awful not to mention a few other 300’s I listened too. So here I am scouring the forums to find a solution and saw where people talked about cross overs on the amplifier circuit board that cut out the highs for the door speakers (I am an electronics engineer and I have never seen cross overs built on an amplifier board, always on the speaker) to replace the sound system, My brother has a harmin karden in his car and sounds just as awful, so after much reading I ripped the door panel of the driver’s door and replaced the again nickel and dime speaker with a $25.00 speaker I picked up at The Source (One you hang on the deck for background music) and guess what…. Big improvement. So I purchased 2) JL C2690TX and installed them and MAN what a difference, I did have a problem however, when I also had the rear speaker on they totally distorted the sound so I ended up buying 2) JL TR690-TXi speakers for the rear and you should hear this thing rock. Highs, lows, mids and as a matter of fact while you have the panels off the door you may want to try and install some kind of insulation or whatever to stop the plastic on the door from vibrating when you turn the sound up because the door doesn’t like bass too much (starts shaking LOL)

Cost me a few bucks to upgrade but I have absolutely no regrets and such a joy to listen to quality sound and NO I am not affiliated with JL at all.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 11-26-2017, 12:16 PM

I work as an Installer/ builder at an audio shop and run into the problem ur stating. Many factory amplified sound systems have built in crossovers in the amplifier. The only way to bypass the crossover is to bypass the amplier itself. In most cases, it's better to bypass no matter what being that the amp is old and outdated. If ur looking for more output after bypassing the amp, then I'd recommend adding 4 channel amp.

bypassing the factory amp is very simple, Metra usually sells the bypass harness to make it plug and play.. if u don't want to buy the harness, then ull need to unplug both plugs from the amp and figure out which plug is audio input (coming from headunit) and which is output (going to speakers). From there u connect accordingly with some sort of electrical connection (butt connector, solder, crimp cap). The second way is sort of timely process but gets the job done.

Old 11-26-2017, 12:28 PM
Default Cross over

I didn't bypass anything on the amp and the sound quality out of the front and back speakers is such that there is no cross over. I have the best quality sound now then i ever had in any vehicle i have owned including my caddy

Old 11-26-2017, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Windsurfer
I didn't bypass anything on the amp and the sound quality out of the front and back speakers is such that there is no cross over. I have the best quality sound now then i ever had in any vehicle i have owned including my caddy
All factory sound systems have some sort of crossover to protect the speakers wether it be built into the factory amp, head unit, or mounted to or near the speaker. If u replaced the speakers in ur vehicle, then u may have gotten rid of the factory crossover. Either way, u need to have some sort of crossover network wether u go passive or active to protect the speakers.

Old 11-26-2017, 05:24 PM
Default Crossover

I think we are getting away from the point i was trying to make. The sound system in my car sounds fantastic, crossover or not

And to TheJerryBowen, i had exactly the same problem you are describing, no highs or deep bass from the speakers in the door and you should hear it now. I have to turn the bass down on some songs because it rattles the door.

Old 11-26-2017, 06:42 PM

Jerry, only way to find out if the crossover is built onto or near the speaker is to remove it and attach a coaxial speaker (testing with just a tweeter can damage it) and see if it plays highs.. if it doesn't, then the amplifier has the crossover network built in.

I have a question though, y do u want highs coming from the door? If ur goal is to just replace the speakers u have with better quality set, then I'd recommend getting component speakers. Replace the door speaker with the component midbass and replace the tweeter in the dash with the new component tweeter.. for the rear deck lid, replace with a standard coax speaker.