Chrysler 300, 300C & 300C SRT-8 The flagship of the Chrysler lineup offers the driver every bit of class of any European luxury sedan, combined with the availability of the Hemi, the engine which dominated the American Muscle Car Era

Tapping noise in Chrysler 300 3.5 V6 engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 10:06 PM
Default Tapping noise in Chrysler 300 3.5 V6 engine

My recently purchased Chrysler 300 Touring (40,000 miles) has a tapping noise in the upper engine when it reaches operating temperature. The noise can't be heard in the car, but is clear when standing outside. The car has been examined by two separate Chrysler dealers (neither aware of the other) and both say it's fuel injector noise and normal for this engine. It still sounds very much to me like a noisy lifter. I'm trying to find others with the same car/engine to see if this is REALLY a normal thing or a problem unique to mine. Any thoughts or experience from those out there more familiar with Chrysler products than I am?

Old 06-15-2011, 07:23 AM

A few things....

Yes, the Fuel injectors are loud, and yes some injector noise is normal. Are you changing your oil with the weight posted on the filler cap??? Depending on the year, I believe it was 10/30.....And yes it will make a difference....

The other option, is this, We havehad problems with rocker shaft pins shearing off, and causing a Rattle noise in the valve covers....If you look back thru this section, you will find countless posts on the issue, So I wont go into depth about it, But it involves replacing the Rocker shaft assemblies. Chrysler has a service kit for this issue.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:50 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. I've had the oil changed twice since I bought the car; both times at the dealer. They're using 10/30. I always check the oil level after a change, and it's ok. The car is under warranty, so I'm eager to put this issue to bed while it still is. It may very well be nothing more than the two dealers say; injector noise. I guess the noise is best described as a tapping or ticking noise; regular and seeming to come from the top right hand side of the engine (when facing the front of the car). It's constant at idle and speeds up when you rev the engine. Maybe I'm just hunting ghosts, but I hate noises I don't understand.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by captlarry
My recently purchased Chrysler 300 Touring (40,000 miles) has a tapping noise in the upper engine when it reaches operating temperature. The noise can't be heard in the car, but is clear when standing outside. The car has been examined by two separate Chrysler dealers (neither aware of the other) and both say it's fuel injector noise and normal for this engine. It still sounds very much to me like a noisy lifter. I'm trying to find others with the same car/engine to see if this is REALLY a normal thing or a problem unique to mine. Any thoughts or experience from those out there more familiar with Chrysler products than I am?
I own the same model and year. The noise started approx. one month ago and the local chrysler dealer said it needed the plugs changed. We did that at a $200.00 (plus) cost, yet the noise remains. Checked in with another reliable garage and he said it was a lifter while another said it was an injector. Totally confused and so I visited another popular garage and they said change to synthetic oil and use a qt. of Lucas additive. Did this, the noise quited but then re-appeared but not as loud?

Old 08-11-2011, 11:41 AM

Lucas oil stabilizer works.
But you can also use the STP oil treatment.
It comes in a red or blue bottle.
I used it in my Honda Accord (which is known for tapping) and it ran much quieter

Old 08-13-2011, 10:13 PM

We've been replacing a ton of rocker shaft assemblies in the 3.5L There is an updated part.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by TNtech
We've been replacing a ton of rocker shaft assemblies in the 3.5L There is an updated part.
i got my '06 back from the shop yesterday. 30k miles on it and no longer under warranty. both assemblies were replaced. not cheap.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by joe_phillipy
i got my '06 back from the shop yesterday. 30k miles on it and no longer under warranty. both assemblies were replaced. not cheap.
You can call Chrylser and see if they'll pay for it but the best time to do that would have been before they did the work. Someone with your low mileage and only 5 years old i'm all for Chrysler doing something. They fix cars with way more miles and years than yours. It actually gets stpuid sometimes.

Last edited by TNtech; 09-23-2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by TNtech
You can call Chrylser and see if they'll pay for it but the best time to do that would have been before they did the work.
i didn't know what the problem was until i took it to the dealer. i asked the service rep if it would be okay to drive home and he said that he wouldn't recommend it. i submitted an email to them through their customer assistance page today. i really don't see anything coming from it, but who knows. i'll never buy another dodge/chrysler again. i know that for sure.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by joe_phillipy
i'll never buy another dodge/chrysler again. i know that for sure.
There are plenty of people just like you who say every day. I will never buy another Toyota, Mazda, Ford, Chevy, etc. So if it gives you virtually trouble free service for it's life other than some rocker shafts then you condemn the whole car and the company? That's silly. They're ALL machines...built by imperfect humans just like you and I.

BTW how much did you pay for the repair?

Last edited by TNtech; 09-24-2011 at 10:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Tapping noise in Chrysler 300 3.5 V6 engine