Chrysler 300, 300C & 300C SRT-8 The flagship of the Chrysler lineup offers the driver every bit of class of any European luxury sedan, combined with the availability of the Hemi, the engine which dominated the American Muscle Car Era

Tapping noise in Chrysler 300 3.5 V6 engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 08:06 AM

^^^^Exactly

I have an 06 300C with only 44K miles.
If my motor, tranny or something related decides to take a dump I'm on the phone with them REAL QUICK!!!
Regardless if I'm out of warranty, major components should not crap out with so little miles

Old 09-28-2011, 12:11 PM

thanks, guys. I'll call them and see what I can do.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:14 PM

...and sorry to the OP. Didn't mean to hijack the thread, but the problems are related.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:51 PM

so, the wife tells me there's a new clacking sound. I took a look at it yesterday after work. Something is leaking and dripping onto the catalytic converter, I think. Could it be caused by the work that was just done?

Here's a link. The video is sideways. Sorry. The clack is at the end of the 18 second clip.

New Leak

Or:

Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTBMqSOvCSc

Old 09-30-2011, 04:58 AM

Is that water?

Wait, is your windshield washer working ok? I heard the clack I thought it sounded like the converter cooling. One clack doesn't help me to identify it for sure.

Last edited by TNtech; 09-30-2011 at 05:05 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:21 PM

you know, i think the problems aren't related. in fact, i don't think it's water hitting the exhaust. i got under the car yesterday after work, started the car w/o the AC on, and heard the noise and didn't get the water. it sounds like metal expanding, or something like that. it's an intermittent sound, and it's only happening every four or five minutes, so more video isn't going to help.

would they have had to get into the exhaust or transmission when they replaced the shaft assemblies? the sound is either in the transmission or the ehaust. it's hard to pinpoint.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by joe_phillipy
you know, i think the problems aren't related. in fact, i don't think it's water hitting the exhaust. i got under the car yesterday after work, started the car w/o the AC on, and heard the noise and didn't get the water. it sounds like metal expanding, or something like that. it's an intermittent sound, and it's only happening every four or five minutes, so more video isn't going to help.

would they have had to get into the exhaust or transmission when they replaced the shaft assemblies? the sound is either in the transmission or the ehaust. it's hard to pinpoint.
Na, but some people like to remove the wiper cowl and motor to get easier access to the plenum. That's why I asked about the washer fluid. They're actually pretty easy to do.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:53 PM

neat. so it's more than likely a new problem?

Old 10-10-2011, 03:33 PM

Just wanted to post an update to my original thread about the tapping noise in my 300 V6 engine. My local dealer has now agreed that the noise is likely a rocker arm assembly. He has just completed a repair which involved tightening the pins in the noise rocker arm assembly. His view is that this should solve the problem, but he's asked that I drive the car for another 30 days or so to see if I hear any more noise. This, by the way, is all being done under the extended warranty that I received with the car when I bought it. Stay tuned and I'll post results later.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:03 PM

A follow-up to my original post on the tapping noise in my Chrysler 300 V6. The dealer finally agreed that the noise is a rocker arm assembly. He "tightened the pins in the assembly" and hasn't heard any more noise. Wants me to drive it for a month or so to see if the tapping reappears. If so, he'll replace the rocker arm assembly if the extended warrant company (Fidelity) will agree. Anyone have any idea if this pin tightening is a real solution? The car is under warranty for about another 10K miles, so I obviously want to solve this problem permanently before it expires. Be interested to hear from anyone who knows if the dealer's approach makes sense.

Quick Reply: Tapping noise in Chrysler 300 3.5 V6 engine