Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

2009 Aspen P0457 Light & Other Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 08:54 AM

The EVAP canister purge solenoid is located in the engine compartment. It is attached to a tongue-type bracket near the brake power booster.

I think the system monitor switch is attached to the EVAP canister.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:14 PM
Default An Update...

Hi Everyone...Thank you SO much for all of your help.

Well we replaced the Evap system purge solenoid ($29.06 at my local Chrysler dealership) and cleared the code last Saturday.

Well my engine light came on again last night so about 6 days later. I can only assume that I am going to see the code for the small evap leak again.

So I have replaced the following:
ESIM Module
Purge Solenoid
Gas Cap

The ESIM and Gas cap if you see back in my earlier posts removed the GASCAP warning light and the other code that was being generated. Those never came back.

However this small leak code I just can't seem to get rid of. My next step is to take it back to the place that smoke tested it and let them know I am concerned they missed a leak and ask them to do it again since that is what I paid them to do. At this point my dealership told me that the chances of a small leak being missed is high and they would almost guarantee that is what is causing the problem.

Anyone else have any suggestions? Since I have a great resource at home that can take care of most fixes for me I am trying to stay away from the dealership.

Thanks again!

Old 11-16-2015, 05:18 PM
Default It's all fixed!

Hi Everyone -
I wanted to do one final follow up in this post to let you know that we did one more fix two weeks ago and it fixed the P0456 light.

We replaced the Vapor Canister under the Aspen. This is the canister that the ESIM Module is hooked to. We originally replaced the ESIM module and it took car of some of the other codes, but that P0456 just wouldn't go away.

Just a tip...when you buy the vapor canister, it already comes with the ESIM attached unless for some silly reason you buy it without it (that option is usually more expensive). The canister was about $160.

My dad installed it in less than an hour and here I am 16 days later and no CEL light and no P0456.

All of the fixes (except the random purge solenoid we replaced) fall under the same parts that were required to be replaced in this TSB for the 2007 Aspen model.

NUMBER: 25-003-07
GROUP: Emissions
DATE: November 14, 2007
SUBJECT: DTC P0456 - Evaporative System Small Leak Due To Loose Charcoal From Canister

Disappointing that my 2009 Aspen had this issue and Chrysler didn't cover anything. We had to fix everything ourselves. Luckily my dad is a Master Tech and was able to repair everything so about $300 later and all of the parts replaced mentioned in previous posts, the light is now gone.

Just wanted to share for those going through the same issue.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:19 AM

Glad you got it figured out. Small leaks like that can be a pain to find.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:39 PM

Afternoon fellow Chrysler owners. New to forum. First post.
Does anyone know how to replace ESIM without taking canister off vehicle . I have tried but there is one hose right before the esim on my 2008 aspen 5.7L that is blocking the way and Icant seem to be able to disconnect the hose. Im not trying to muscle it so has not to break it. It must be a simple trick to it. Appreciate the help.

Bigmikeyj

Old 01-17-2016, 08:52 AM

I had no problem replacing my ESIM and I did not remove the canister from the vehicle. Same year and motor as you list. The rubber hose which plugs in to the ESIM came off with little effort for me and the electrical plug was easy to disconnect as well. My biggest issue was getting the locking tab on the old ESIM to disengage to twist it out. Was a tight fit to work with and I've got little hands. I ended up just breaking it off which was no big deal since the new one would replace it. This hose that plugs in to it should be the only hose you need to disconnect. If it's being difficult, try gently grasping it with some channel lock pliers and twisting it. Sometimes old hoses create a glue like seal and need to be dislodged.