Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

AC Musty and Warm at Idle (2008 Aspen Limited)

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 03:49 PM

@chryslercares - Evap will only hit 50 degrees with no airflow on it. Def not freezing up.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:04 PM

Okay, so. I have not done the condenser fan yet. But I think the driver side heater blend door is sticking a tiny bit opened. Driver side center vent is 4-6 degrees warmer then passenger side center vent. Any ideas on how to check them besides pulling the dash off? They quickly change from hot to cold and cold to hot. A

Old 08-22-2014, 01:45 PM

I don't know of a way to check the blend doors without getting behind the dash (other than the use of a dealer Scan Tool).

Models with the single zone heating-A/C system have a single blend-air door, which is controlled by a single blend door actuator (1). Models with the dual zone system have two blend-air doors, which are controlled by two blend door actuators. The blend door actuators are reversible, 12-volt direct current (DC), servo motors.
The blend door actuator for the single zone heating-A/C system is located on top of the HVAC housing, behind the dash panel.

For the dual zone heating-A/C system, the same blend door actuator used for the single zone system becomes the passenger side blend door actuator, which is mechanically connected to only the passenger side blend-air door. A second separate blend door actuator located on the bottom of the HVAC housing is mechanically connected to the driver side blend-air door.
The blend door actuators are interchangeable with the actuators for both mode-air doors and the recirculation-air door. Each actuator is contained within an identical black molded plastic housing with an integral wire connector receptacle. Three integral mounting tabs allow the actuator to be secured to the HVAC housing. Each actuator also has an identical output shaft with splines that connects it to a blend-air door. The blend door actuators do not require mechanical indexing to the blend-air doors, as they are electronically calibrated by the A/C-heater control.

The rear blend door actuator is connected to the A/C-heater control through the vehicle electrical system by a dedicated two-wire lead and connector of the rear heater-A/C wire harness. The rear blend door actuator can move the rear blend-air door in two directions. When the A/C-heater control pulls the voltage on one side of the motor connection high and the other connection low, the rear blend-air door will move in one direction. When the A/C-heater control reverses the polarity of the voltage to the motor, the rear blend-air door moves in the opposite direction.
When the A/C-heater control makes the voltage to both connections high or both connections low, the rear blend-air door stops and will not move. The A/C-heater control uses a pulse-count positioning system to monitor the operation and relative position of the rear blend door actuator and the rear blend-air door. The A/C-heater control learns the rear blend-air door stop positions during the calibration procedure and will store a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) for any problems it detects in the rear blend door actuator circuit.

The rear blend door actuator is diagnosed using a scan tool.

The rear blend door actuator cannot be adjusted or repaired and must be replaced if inoperative or damaged.

Last edited by ChryslerCares; 08-22-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:49 PM

So, small update, slowly since my last post with no further workings, the ac gets better and better each day. I don't know exactly why yet but I'm not gonna open the system or replace anything right now. Possibly, the additive is breaking some buildup in the system down(maybe evap).

Old 10-12-2020, 11:45 AM

2009 Aspen

On these Gen 2s, there are two rear blend door actuators on the rear HVAC unit.

Both actuators are stock 2009 models.

The usual clicking was heard from one of the actuators.

Both actuators were disassembled. There were no worn nor broken teeth on any of the gears.

I rotated all gears 180 degrees and reinstalled with the excess factory grease applied to the teeth.

Both actuators work when plugged into the rear harness.

The rear actuator, closest to the back hatch, moves when the rear thermostat is adjusted.

The front actuator does not move at any time.

Query: What source controls the front actuator? When is it supposed to activate? What makes it activate and when?