Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Aspen undercarriage Guard

Old 03-05-2015, 06:26 PM
Default Aspen undercarriage Guard

Where the Durango's/Aspen's equipped with a splash guard below the radiator or engine?

Old 03-06-2015, 08:41 AM

There's a Skid Plate Group (option) that comes with the tow package that adds skid plates below the fuel tank and transfer case. I'm not sure if that's what you're asking -- do you think you're missing a part?

Old 03-10-2015, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by 15951a\
There's a Skid Plate Group (option) that comes with the tow package that adds skid plates below the fuel tank and transfer case. I'm not sure if that's what you're asking -- do you think you're missing a part?
I'm still working with my ongoing AC issues, and think its boiling down to a situation problem at this point. Including a really crappy design flaw. Using ribbon and a infrared temp gun, the heat coming out of the condenser/radiator and all other cooling items there is recirculating down the front of the engine, to the front of the car and then back up into the grill and back into the radiator condenser ect when sitting still. The Air temp coming in this path is in excessive of 160F.

IE: If I stop in the middle of a black parking lot and let the car sit in the sun with the ac on at over 90F. After about a minute the duct temps start to rise(until they stop blowing cold). After about 10, the engine starts to get warm(not quite overheating 220 - 225ish max). After 20 its soaked so much heat i start getting High Side pressure shutoff because the the condenser cant get under 160F. If I'm parked on a hill and simply roll(at idle) at 5mph everything starts to go back to normal. If I am in the shade I end of with the same results just on a longer time frame. If i get a medium size fan and put it under the bumper(pointing at or near the oil pan) but not blowing on the radiator ext i do not get any of the above symptoms.

A simple Plastic air deflector would solve this, but there isn't one on the car. I thought maybe the previous owner ripped it off. So if there is not one, I guess I am making one.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:27 PM

I understand. My Aspen doesn't have a plastic tray or cover under the engine either, but I don't think that's your problem. If it was, these problems would be happening on thousands of other Durangos and Aspens. My Aspen spent its first couple of years in Florida, and never had a problem blowing cold air at idle, even in 100+ degree weather and ridiculous humidity.

Have you tried a different mechanic, or has all of the troubleshooting and repair work been with the same shop? Your symptoms sound an awful lot like either your fan isn't working properly, or your blend door needs replacement. I know you've looked into both of these items, and you have to be pretty frustrated at this point. Maybe it's time for some new eyes (different mechanic) before you start fabricating parts.

You mentioned the engine is getting pretty warm, too -- have you checked the thermostat and the water pump?

Ok -- I just checked the service manual. You mentioned that your high side pressure builds up at idle. This could be any of the following:

1. A/C condenser air flow restricted.

2. Refrigerant flow through the receiver/drier is restricted.

3. Inoperative radiator cooling fan.

4. Refrigerant system overcharged.

5. Air in the refrigerant system.

6. Engine overheating.

Last edited by 15951a\; 03-11-2015 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:24 PM

Please see this link, the AC system is running as designed, until it sits in the same spot for extended times with no airflow around the car. Also, from my research this is a common problem that goes unsolved for many people until hey get so frustrated they sell the car. Using the facts of Freon 134A the duct temp and pressure is dead on what it is supposed to be using 160F ambient temperature.

https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/...limited-18067/

Old 03-25-2015, 10:42 AM

I took a look at that thread. It all still sounds like your condenser fan is only operating at one speed, but I know you've been down that road. If the a/c works when you're in motion but doesn't at idle, it ought to be a condenser fan issue.

If not, then the radiator fan isn't doing its job. Either way, it's one of the fans that's supposed to be pushing air at idle when the engine is hot.