Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

New 2 Me 2009 Aspen

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 11:20 AM
Default New 2 Me 2009 Aspen

While I'm waiting on the dealer to do the agreed upon repairs, I could use your help and recommendations. This one is not the typical "old school" Mopar I'm use to.
Where can I get a factory service manual?
What would you suggest for tires? I will need an all season leaning more toward highway than off road. I will be towing a heavy trailer from time to time.
What would you recommend for shocks? Considering I will be towing I was thinking air adjustable.
Are there hook ups for a trailer brake controller tucked away somewhere?
Also, can these thing be programed/chipped for alternate performance like towing or economy?
Thanks!

Old 03-27-2019, 06:50 PM

How much are you towing?
My experiences are towing a 2k Uhaul trailer with various cars prolly 5-6k loaded.
I have a 07 Aspen I believe with the tow package because I have the 4 flat and 7 round trailer light outlet on the hitch. My suspension is bouncy without trailer but the trailer settles it down but the rear sags easily. I would add air adjustable (like I had on an 00 Explorer) but I couldn't find any. If you see I had a thread for the Monroe load adjusting (towing) shocks that seem to have a secondary spring on them that I believe would help. If I don't sell mines I would install them.

58651 :: e-Catalog :: MONROEŽ SHOCKS & STRUTS

Old 03-28-2019, 03:03 PM

8,000 max for my travel trailer.

Old 03-29-2019, 07:31 AM

Where can I get a factory service manual? - To my knowledge, their isn't a "Factory" service manual other than the ones Chrysler techs probably use. Good luck getting one of those. Haynes makes one for the Durango which is the cousin for the Aspen. Closest thing available to my knowledge.
What would you suggest for tires? - I'm a fan of Michelin myself. Whatever you choose, be sure to check reviews and load ratings since you plan on towing.
What would you recommend for shocks? - Like rowekmr mentioned, Monroe load adjustable shocks have an added coil over spring which helps with heavy loads. No air adjustable shocks for our Aspen. Although you probably could add aftermarket axle air bags.
Are there hook ups for a trailer brake controller tucked away somewhere? - Yes. Located on the drivers side under the dash. Blue 4-pin connector. Should be mounted between the e-brake and wire harness block. You will need the wire harness kit to hook up to the controller. Mine was found in the rear storage compartment. Part number - 56045795AB. MSRP - $48.00
Also, can these thing be programed/chipped for alternate performance like towing or economy? - Yes. Their are several different companies that make tuners for the Aspen. Diablo makes several programmers that work well and I recommend them. I am currently using the Diablo intune I2.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-29-2019, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Huskies
While I'm waiting on the dealer to do the agreed upon repairs, I could use your help and recommendations. This one is not the typical "old school" Mopar I'm use to.
Where can I get a factory service manual?
What would you suggest for tires? I will need an all season leaning more toward highway than off road. I will be towing a heavy trailer from time to time.
What would you recommend for shocks? Considering I will be towing I was thinking air adjustable.
Are there hook ups for a trailer brake controller tucked away somewhere?
Also, can these thing be programed/chipped for alternate performance like towing or economy?
Thanks!
Welcome!

The usual suspects already posted the good info!

I am tuned with Diablo Trinity.

Old 04-01-2019, 02:56 PM

Is there an alternate wheel/tire size for the Aspen? Mine has 20's on it now.

Old 04-01-2019, 02:59 PM

Is there an alternate wheel/tire size for the Aspen? Mine has 20's on it now.
I put OEM Ram Rebel wheels with 265/70/17 tires on mine. Love the look. I wouldn't go any larger on tire, unless you plan to level or lift.

Last edited by Rawyzf; 04-01-2019 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:29 AM

Looks nice. Gives it more of a truck look. I'm a little hesitant about 17s though, clearing brake and suspension parts. Problem up here in Alaska is things are harder to find locally or you pay out the nose on shipping.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:33 AM

Looks nice. Gives it more of a truck look. I'm a little hesitant about 17s though, clearing brake and suspension parts. Problem up here in Alaska is things are harder to find locally or you pay out the nose on shipping.
No problems clearing, and actually a lot of the Durangos came on 17s......so you shouldn't have any clearance issues.

Shipping anywhere these days is horrible......but that's the world of online shopping