Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

New tires/rims are on - much better ride.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by 15951a\
Tires with more sidewall will have a softer ride, but there's no way there's better control. I think you're experiencing the difference between worn out tires and new tires.

More sidewall = more sidewall flex. There's no way around it.
There's a "happy medium" to this, if you will. Shorter sidewalls indeed mean less sidewall flex, but that doesn't necessarily make it the last word regarding "better control." Bigger wheels also mean more unsprung weight as a rule (i.e., the wheel + tire of equivalent diameter is lighter with a smaller wheel/higher profile tire than it is with a larger wheel/lower profile tire), which tends to detract from performance and handling.

Take a vehicle that comes with 18" stock rims and swap them out for some of those ridiculous ghetto 22s, and tell me you have "better control." I think not lol. Acceleration declines and braking distances get longer, there's no getting around it, because your wheel/tire combination is a good deal heavier.

Another issue is that not all tires of all types and brands have the same degree of sidewall flex. It could be that the stock 20" tires had fairly soft sidewalls for ride quality, and that the replacement tires had stiffer sidewalls (so that there wasn't a big increase in sidewall flex even with the higher profile tire). Every tire is a compromise, and there isn't a consistent degree of flex for a given sidewall height.

As for me, I'm looking at buying an Aspen to replace my pickup, and if I do the first thing I'll do is ditch those stupid 20" wheels for the smallest I can put on it (17") with All Terrain tires on them. After all, I don't think there's much point to a 4X4 with street tires on it, and there's basically NO AT tires in the stock 20" size. If absolute performance/handling is what you're after, an Aspen isn't what you want to be driving.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Moparmeister
Take a vehicle that comes with 18" stock rims and swap them out for some of those ridiculous ghetto 22s, and tell me you have "better control." I think not lol. Acceleration declines and braking distances get longer, there's no getting around it, because your wheel/tire combination is a good deal heavier.

As for me, I'm looking at buying an Aspen to replace my pickup, and if I do the first thing I'll do is ditch those stupid 20" wheels for the smallest I can put on it (17") with All Terrain tires on them. After all, I don't think there's much point to a 4X4 with street tires on it, and there's basically NO AT tires in the stock 20" size. If absolute performance/handling is what you're after, an Aspen isn't what you want to be driving.
Of course it's a compromise, but aftermarket wheels are often much lighter than OEM wheels, even in larger sizes. I replaced the wheels on my Infiniti with a larger, but much lighter, wheel and experienced handling gains and no loss in acceleration.

I keep seeing people brushing off suspension and wheel/tire upgrades as "stupid" because the Aspen is an SUV. Newsflash: Most Aspen owners aren't mudding with our $40k trucks. I'd rather the vehicle handle well on the street, where the truck spends 99.99% of its time. I know my Aspen isn't bringing "absolute performance", but that doesn't mean I should want it to handle like crap. There's no reason it has to be all or nothing.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:21 PM
pma

Originally Posted by Silver
My '08 has the J-Package, so it has the 20" rims. I think they look great, but I hate the rougher ride you get with short sidewalls. Plus the selection of tires available for people like me that live in snow/ice country is not that great, nor are the prices. So awhile back, I picked up a set of the chrome clad 18's that also came on Aspens of the same year.

My old tires where the stock 265/50/20 Goodyear RS-A's. They are horrible in slush and wet because they have closed shoulders that don't allow water and slush to escape. We hydro-planed more then once with those tires, even before they started getting to their end-of-life. They got worse as they wore down.

Now I have 265/60R18 Michelin LTX M/S2. They have good shoulder channels, and huge center grooves to move water, snow, and slush out of the way. Good deal of siping too, so ice and wet traction should be good. They are the top rated tire on Tirerack for Highway All Season category. Time will tell, but I think they will be a good all season tire for me.

The ride and control with these tires and 18" rims is noticably improved over the 20's in my opinion, though admittedly the tires where pretty much shot (had 50k on them).

If anyone is interested in buying a nice set of the OEM 20" rims, i'll be selling them soon. They are in great shape.
don't know if you still have the rims I just joined the forum but I have 18's with 20,000 miles and was thinking of going to 20's I like the look better let me know how much you want for them

Old 04-30-2014, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Silver
My '08 has the J-Package, so it has the 20" rims. I think they look great, but I hate the rougher ride you get with short sidewalls. Plus the selection of tires available for people like me that live in snow/ice country is not that great, nor are the prices. So awhile back, I picked up a set of the chrome clad 18's that also came on Aspens of the same year.

My old tires where the stock 265/50/20 Goodyear RS-A's. They are horrible in slush and wet because they have closed shoulders that don't allow water and slush to escape. We hydro-planed more then once with those tires, even before they started getting to their end-of-life. They got worse as they wore down.

Now I have 265/60R18 Michelin LTX M/S2. They have good shoulder channels, and huge center grooves to move water, snow, and slush out of the way. Good deal of siping too, so ice and wet traction should be good. They are the top rated tire on Tirerack for Highway All Season category. Time will tell, but I think they will be a good all season tire for me.

The ride and control with these tires and 18" rims is noticably improved over the 20's in my opinion, though admittedly the tires where pretty much shot (had 50k on them).

If anyone is interested in buying a nice set of the OEM 20" rims, i'll be selling them soon. They are in great shape.
Hey I'm now to the form but see you listed your set of 20" for sale, wondering are you still Selling them are if they already sold?

Old 05-01-2014, 09:47 AM

Sorry, they were sold awhile back.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:43 AM

My 2 cents on tires- my hemi sport was brand new in 05, stock good years were flat scary in the rain. I researched a great deal and decided to try the General Grabber UHP. Great tire, on my 5 th set, 295 50 20's. The were $150 a tire then and still today. Awesome in all conditions, keep a balance, quiet, last a long time and look terrific. Mt Aspen came with 20" wheels , I will be installing Grabber UHP's on it when it is time
He'd