Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Question For Those That Tow With Aspen

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by DVD440
On a different note, if anyone knows of a towing mirror that will attach where the factory mirrors are at, I would love to know that. Thank you all
I personally use these from Amazon.
Amazon Amazon
They do pretty good for just under $20. Just need to make sure they are tight to minimize vibration. The dual mirrors is a big plus to give you two different angles. The are sold as each so you will need to get two for both sides. Let me know if you want a picture of them on the truck. I snap one real quick.

Last edited by calamity coyote; 04-12-2021 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-08-2022, 10:20 PM
Default Towing a travel trailer

We are about to purchase a 30 ft travel trailer weighing about 5980 dry weight. Has anyone pulled a trailer of this size with a Chrysler Aspen? We have an ‘08.

Old 02-09-2022, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by JennyF
We are about to purchase a 30 ft travel trailer weighing about 5980 dry weight. Has anyone pulled a trailer of this size with a Chrysler Aspen? We have an ‘08.
Make sure you have the trailer towing package. Get a weight distributing hitch, sway bars, brake controller, proper mirrors and have the electric brake/lights/power plug and play connector for your vehicle. If you're not sure how to hook this stuff up yourself then get it professionally done, your life is worth it.
6000 lbs dry plus if you're like most of us campers add about 1000 to 1500 lbs for your gear/food/toys/etc (7000 to 8000 lbs total). When you're fully loaded go to the truck scales and get the weight for your front and rear axles. Do not exceed the limit on either axle. The properly equipped Aspen will tow up to 8950 lbs. Try and stay below this number. If you can't then don't tow with it, you need a vehicle capable of towing more. Rule of thumb, stay at least 10% below your towing capacity as a safety margin. You should have the 5.7litre for this kind of load, plus the tow package with the 3:92 rear end. I had the 3:55 at one time and it just doesn't have the grunt power on the highway if you encounter hills, wind, etc. Lot's to learn and safety is paramount when towing because it's not just your life that you're protecting, it's others as well. Happy and safe towing.

Old 02-09-2022, 09:59 AM

One other thing, get a proper set of either air bag suspension or Timbrens. I went through two sets of the Airlift bags in 6 years and they are a pain to install and uninstall. One set developed an air leak after 4 years the other set had the side fail after two. Finally got a set of Timbrens and had them in place in under an hour. Jack up the frame and put on jacks to suspend the wheels, pull the old jounce bumpers out and put in the Timbrens. I used a little silicon spray on a stubborn one. The timbrens will make the ride harsher when unloaded but they are nice for towing. I did notice my front end bounces a bit more so may consider Timbrins for the front as well. They are about $200 a set, the air bags were about $135 (CDN).

Old 02-09-2022, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Milbers
Make sure you have the trailer towing package. Get a weight distributing hitch, sway bars, brake controller, proper mirrors and have the electric brake/lights/power plug and play connector for your vehicle. If you're not sure how to hook this stuff up yourself then get it professionally done, your life is worth it.
6000 lbs dry plus if you're like most of us campers add about 1000 to 1500 lbs for your gear/food/toys/etc (7000 to 8000 lbs total). When you're fully loaded go to the truck scales and get the weight for your front and rear axles. Do not exceed the limit on either axle. The properly equipped Aspen will tow up to 8950 lbs. Try and stay below this number. If you can't then don't tow with it, you need a vehicle capable of towing more. Rule of thumb, stay at least 10% below your towing capacity as a safety margin. You should have the 5.7litre for this kind of load, plus the tow package with the 3:92 rear end. I had the 3:55 at one time and it just doesn't have the grunt power on the highway if you encounter hills, wind, etc. Lot's to learn and safety is paramount when towing because it's not just your life that you're protecting, it's others as well. Happy and safe towing.
Thank you for your information! We do have the 5.7 L v8. How do I find out about the “3:92 rear end”? We had planned on getting the complete tow package installed by the RV dealership. I’m feeling completely overwhelmed with all the info. I joined a fb group and everyone is telling me to not tow this size trailer with our Aspen.

Old 02-09-2022, 04:53 PM
Default Towing with an Aspen

I have a 2008 Aspen with the 5.7 and the tow package including the 3.92 gear. I tow a 24 foot enclosed car trailer that weighs about 8500 lbs. I also use an equalizer and anti sway hitch, it is worth its weight in gold. That much weight without the anti sway can be a handfull. Generally, my longest pull is about 180 miles one way. The tow package has all the needed coolers and wiring to plug and play with the trailer lights and brakes. The 5.7 has plenty of power, so go for it and have fun if you have the tow package.

Old 02-09-2022, 04:56 PM
Default Towing with an Aspen

I forgot to mention, if you call your Chrysler dealer service department with the last eight digits of your VIN number they can look up how your vehicle was equiped when it was built, including the tow package and gear ratio.