Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Remote Start function

Old 01-27-2015, 10:56 PM
Default Remote Start function

Hi, I am a new owner, recently purchased an 08 Aspen with 90k miles that was loaded with all options. this is an awesome truck, just upgraded the original shocks to bilstiens, and have a couple other things to fix up: new front brakes, and the gas filler fuel splash back TSB.

I am not sure the remote start is working properly or needs to be fixed. It starts with hitting the key transmitter remote start button twice. When its time to go, I unlock the doors, get in and put the key in the ignition to the run position and the truck shuts off. I then have to start manually using the key to drive. I would think there should be a way to remote start and have the truck stay running once you put the key in and are ready to go. Having to restart manually seem like unnecessary step and wear and tear from restarting. I tried a couple different things like pressing the brake, turning key to on position, etc.. Nothing seems to work to keep the truck running once started with remote start.

Maybe this is normal, but on prior vehicles I have had with remote starters I can keep the car running once I put the key in ignition and then drive off. Please let me know how the factory remote starter is suppose to work, if there is a trick or step I am missing to have it stay running, or if anything needs to be fixed or reprogrammed. Thanks for your help!

Old 01-28-2015, 01:15 AM

It should not turn off by simply inserting the key and turning it to the "on" position. In fact, that is how you are suppose to do it. Question is are you by chance tapping the brake pedal? That would disable the engine. It's a safety feature. You can't shift without pressing the brake pedal. Therefore, if brake is pressed without key turned on, it shuts off to prevent someone from stealing the truck.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:38 PM

Previously I could turn to on position and it would stay running, once I turn one more click to run position I thought this is when it would shutoff. It was doing this for a whole weekend when I first bought it.

I just went back out tonight and tried it again, post remote start, put key in and turn to ON and RUN positions and it stays on in both positions, shuts off if I press brake when in ON position then stays on in RUN position and I can press brake and drive off without having to restart. So I either was doing something previously to shut it off (pressing brake, or other item triggering it to shut off), or I was not turning the ignition far enough (2 clicks) to get in run position. So it is working properly now. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:22 PM

Yeah, when I was saying "on" I meant in the "Run" position. Glad you figured it out.