Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Replacement Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by tbmatthews82
In my experience, the Bilsteins are firm. This does NOT mean they're uncomfortable. In fact, I think just the opposite. They don't leave you bouncing up and down over every bump like you're on a water bed, and they drastically improve handling over OEM. I have other vehicles to off-road with, so I don't take the Aspen off-road. I don't want to mess it up in any way, so I can't give experiences from that aspect. However, on-road experiences are that they are like night and day from OEM.
Thanks for your input. I have now decidedto go with Bilsteins.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:56 PM

Your best beat is to go with after market shocks

Old 05-05-2011, 11:53 PM

I just now got around to having the shocks (all 4) replaced on the wife's Aspen, and I gotta tell ya'll, what a world of difference. I for one would of never expected that much improvement in terms of ride comfort, they're just shocks, I thought to myself.
Like I mentioned before the ride in general improved from the notorious wheel hop, to the rear bottoming out on bumps. The truck now feels in control at all times and not as if any road imperfection would send it across another lane or even into a center divider. We swapped the stocks out for Gabriels Ultra's, although their website show's a new line of shocks called Maxcontrol which may be better depending on your driving needs/habits.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:06 AM
Default Bilsteins good for towing?

Hiya guys,

I own a 2009 Aspen Limited Hemi 5.7 with towing group package. It's got around 34k miles on it now. I have just recently bought a travel trailer to go camping in the great outdoors. Well the truck pulls the trailer just fine power wise and no sway at all. I've got a WD anti sway hitch and everything is nice and level. My one complaint though is when driving down the highway the truck ends up bobbing up and down on anything less than ideal roads and feels like I'm on a boat on a windy day. Clearly, I need to stiffen the ride up a bit.

I was either going to go the airbag route or throw on a full set of Bilsteins and see how that improves things. Anyone comment on the Bilsteins from a towing standpoint?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 05-13-2011, 09:09 AM

AutoPartsTomorrow.com: front Monroe Relfex shocks = $35.32, rear = $37.02. That's nearly half what I can get them locally for, and significantly less then Amazon. Include MIR for 1 Free, and the total comes to ~$109 for 4 Monroe Reflex shocks (free shipping!). That's very tempting -- even though I only have 15K miles. The OE shocks are just cr@p. I'm sure I cold drive them for a lot longer, but why suffer at only $109.

(No -- this isn't spam, and I have no affiliation with autopartstomorrow.com.)

Old 05-14-2011, 03:12 PM

On the site now, autopartstomorrow, and it doesnt even let you look for parts for the Aspen?? Am i doing something wrong. How did you find the monroe reflex for your aspen on that site. I have an 09 and have been tossing this around the idea of replacing the shocks. Best i found was 45 per shock.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:23 PM

oopppps, found it. Didnt see the drop down for Chrysler trucks. Great price, but it only lists one shock #, the 911260. All the other sites i checked list two different shock Numbers for the monroe, 911260 and 911259 ( I think anyway). Have to check and see what one was for front and what one is for back. So if you are getting 4 shocks, I would make sure Im getting the correct shock for the aspen.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:00 AM

I searched by part number -- instead of application. They had both last week. My friggen wife got a $155 speeding ticket (in the Aspen), so there went my "new shock fund). . I may still find a way, but I have to hurry in order to get the rebate (5/31).

Old 05-16-2011, 02:08 PM

GRRRRRR, sorry to hear that. A few sies ive been checking are out of the Monroe Reflex, they seem to be going fast. Found this cite with both sets available, www.justsuspension.com
The cheapest i can find. Total for all 4 is 131.10, free ground shipping (but it doesnt say what that is, UPS or what ).Found the Belstein for 269 at Shox.com
Im in the same boat. I need to do this soon or Im gonna be out of luck also. Just cant decide if the truck will run better with the Monroe on them. Guess there is only one way to find out.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:29 PM
Default Bilsteins

I went from stock Aspen shocks to the aftermarket Bilsteins and the only annoyance I have with them is the bright yellow and light-blue colour of the shocks (and what appears to be plastic twist-ties holding the boot).

The ride is firmer, but most people compare that to the worn-out shocks just before they replace them. The car was bouncing every chance it got. Although the Bilsteins are definitely firmer and keep the truck in control, they are nowhere near the stiffness of adjustable Tokico shocks.

You will quickly get used to them and it does not degrade the ride of the truck. In Canada they were $400 plus taxes for a set of 4 from Essex Distributors in British Columbia, vs the same price for Monroes at Partsource and the factory stocks from a Chrysler dealership.

I have no experience with the KYB shocks available at Tire Rack for almost half the price.

Quick Reply: Replacement Shocks