Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Transfer case shifting 4WD to $WLock on its own

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by billdc
Yes it is stuck in AWD. But I was able to wire tie it up and I check it occasionally. Surprisingly it does seem to be holding up well.
Biggest issue I have with just disconnecting and tying it up is will it pass inspection? In Texas they require inspections. Even though it has nothing to do with the actual motor or emissions, I worry they will fail with the dash light on for "SVC 4WD".

Old 08-12-2020, 10:06 AM

We have inspection as well, I take it to my regular mechanic so maybe he just ignores it. In NJ the inspections are done at a state run facility and they might not be as friendly. I know any sensor alerts will keep it from passing inspection, but I have not had any trouble with the 4WD light.

Old 08-12-2020, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by billdc
We have inspection as well, I take it to my regular mechanic so maybe he just ignores it. In NJ the inspections are done at a state run facility and they might not be as friendly. I know any sensor alerts will keep it from passing inspection, but I have not had any trouble with the 4WD light.
Good to hear. Since it's not an actual "Trouble Code", hopefully they will ignore it here as well. Upon further inspection, it looks like the motor may be more difficult to replace than I thought. It has a splash shield that wraps around the motor casing. Think this is why it says to remove the drive shaft. I'm hoping I can pull the shield down far enough to slide the motor out. Otherwise I will either have to remove the driveshaft or pull the cross member that holds the transmission so I can remove the shield.

Old 08-12-2020, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by calamity coyote
If you are going to do the transmission and front and rear diffs, you might as well do the transfer case at the same time too.
Yeah, probably. I never switch out of AWD, so wasn't sure if it was necessary.....but suppose it wouldn't hurt.

Old 08-13-2020, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Rawyzf
Yeah, probably. I never switch out of AWD, so wasn't sure if it was necessary.....but suppose it wouldn't hurt.
Per the manual, if using it for "police, taxi, fleet, off-road or frequent trailer towing" to change out every 60,000 miles. Doesn't list for normal use though. Odd.

When I got mine back in 2014, I went ahead and switched out all fluids to Amsoil. So I went ahead and did the transfer case as well. Uses ATF+4.

Old 08-18-2020, 11:12 AM

So I replaced the transfer case motor today. Although I did manage to do it without removing the drive shaft, I did have to remove the transmission mount and splash shield for the motor. I tired just removing the bolts that hold the trans mount to the trans and lifting the trans to slide out the shield, but with all the curves in it which wrap around the motor, this was impossible. I had to remove the bolts that hold the trans mount to the cross member as well to pull the mount out first, then slide the shield over to drop the motor.

Bad news is that for some reason the plug for the motor just didn't seem to want to plug in all the way on the new motor. Therefore I am still getting a "SVC 4WD" light as I suspect it is not making full contact. Not sure what is going on here. Looks like the plug on the new motor is slightly longer and won't allow it to seat fully. With the Texas heat and having to work in a gravel driveway, I think I'm done with it for a while.

Old 03-01-2021, 02:10 PM

So I replaced the transfer case motor today. Although I did manage to do it without removing the drive shaft, I did have to remove the transmission mount and splash shield for the motor. I tired just removing the bolts that hold the trans mount to the trans and lifting the trans to slide out the shield, but with all the curves in it which wrap around the motor, this was impossible. I had to remove the bolts that hold the trans mount to the cross member as well to pull the mount out first, then slide the shield over to drop the motor.

Bad news is that for some reason the plug for the motor just didn't seem to want to plug in all the way on the new motor. Therefore I am still getting a "SVC 4WD" light as I suspect it is not making full contact. Not sure what is going on here. Looks like the plug on the new motor is slightly longer and won't allow it to seat fully. With the Texas heat and having to work in a gravel driveway, I think I'm done with it for a while.
I did this job today on 2007 Aspen. After supporting tranny I dropped entire tranny xmember and mount as a single piece, making access to that heat shield a breeze. No advantage messing with driveshaft as the Ram guys do. Once xmember dropped job was straightforward. I decided to change motor after reading this was most likely cause. We'll see if I wasted my money or not. It seems like most people suggest to start at motor and work backward, checking connector for corosion, then wiring harness for damage, then module, and switch is last. I had no other symptoms on dash so I did not consider module- may have to have it reburned if problem persists.

Old 03-10-2021, 06:22 PM

I have the 07 aspen with AWD, Hi and Lo. So on Sunday I went somewhere and noticed the truck is in 4x4 lock but no lights on. Tried turning the switch to 4high lock and 4 low lock and nothing. Monday morning I started the truck and I had 4x4 lights and everything switched normally. Tuesday morning no lights again and no 4x4 again. Decided to get a new transfer case motor and just had a local mechanic put it in. I still have no lights so maybe it wasn't the transfer case motor. Although the old motor has this slopping around sound in there. What will be the next to check.....the front control module maybe? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 09-14-2021, 11:11 AM

What a coincidence. Mine has started doing this as well. Was going to ask about it myself.

I started hearing an odd sound when vehicle wasn't even running. Just parked and locked up. Sounded like a metal on metal slicing sound and then a "thunk". Didn't know what it was at first. Then I turned the key on (engine off) and rotated the dial and realized it was the transfer case. I also started seeing the "SVC 4WD" light on the dash intermittently while driving.

Today while slowing down in a parking lot, it jumped in to 4 Low. I personally think it may be the dash switch as I would rotate through the settings and hit the dash below it and it would stop for a while. I'm going to try and disconnect it first to verify.
First time here, but having these exact problems with my 2007 Aspen. Where you ever able to get it resolved? Thanks.

Old 09-14-2021, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by 07-AspenOwner
First time here, but having these exact problems with my 2007 Aspen. Where you ever able to get it resolved? Thanks.
Hello,
It's probably going to be the transfer case motor. This has been discussed in multiple threads and across multiple forums I'm on. Seems to be a common issue for the motor. I did replace mine, but I went aftermarket and the plug seems to be longer and won't connect to harness properly so it's still not working as designed. However, it is no longer trying to switch on it's own so I've left it as is for now. I don't have a garage to work in so it may be like this for a while. I need to pull it back out and try to shave the plug down a little. Others have posted that replacing motor has resolved their issue. So I would start there.

Quick Reply: Transfer case shifting 4WD to $WLock on its own