Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Transfer case shifting 4WD to $WLock on its own

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2021, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by calamity coyote
Hello,
It's probably going to be the transfer case motor. This has been discussed in multiple threads and across multiple forums I'm on. Seems to be a common issue for the motor. I did replace mine, but I went aftermarket and the plug seems to be longer and won't connect to harness properly so it's still not working as designed. However, it is no longer trying to switch on it's own so I've left it as is for now. I don't have a garage to work in so it may be like this for a while. I need to pull it back out and try to shave the plug down a little. Others have posted that replacing motor has resolved their issue. So I would start there.
Thank you for your quick response. The service team did in fact replace the transfer case motor, but it did not resolve the issue. They are still researching this, and hopefully, I will get some more information.

Old 09-15-2021, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by 07-AspenOwner
Thank you for your quick response. The service team did in fact replace the transfer case motor, but it did not resolve the issue. They are still researching this, and hopefully, I will get some more information.
Have them check the front control module for corrosion on the pins. I disconnected mine several years ago and in PA it passes inspection with the light so far.

Old 09-16-2021, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by billdc
Have them check the front control module for corrosion on the pins. I disconnected mine several years ago and in PA it passes inspection with the light so far.
Thanks, will pass that along.

Old 11-08-2021, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by 07-AspenOwner
Have you read the codes on the body module?

My Aspen is doing a similar thing. The code came back that the low range sensor was out of voltage range. Apparently it runs on a 5 volt supply that feeds multiple sensors. If one of those sensors is out of range it could affect other sensors. The three fixes I read over and over were.

1. Unplugging the AC pressure sensor. I know it's weird but, it apparently can cause the system voltage to drop and push the voltage out of range.
2. Clean the battery.
3. Check the wires very very closely and look for any rubbing or exposed copper. It's apparently a common problem in other dodge vehicles with the same Engine and Transfer Case.

At any rate read the codes on the body control module. That's where the transfer case errors are stored.