Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

04 Pacifica A/C issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 06:13 PM
Default 04 Pacifica A/C issues

I'm not real knowledgeable about air conditioning, our Pacifica isn't cooling real well. It started off while sitting still it wasn't blowing very cold, but while driving it was ok. I put a small can of freon in it. They gauge said it was good to begin with, but I wanted to get it to the max level of good, so I put the entire can in, but the gauge didn't seem to have moved. Since then, it seems to be worse. Now it not only doesn't do much while sitting, It intermittently blows slightly warm air while driving...like on the highway at a maintained speed, then all of a sudden will blow cold for a while, then back to not so cold, repeatedly. My first thought is condenser fan, cuz my truck had similar issue, but never intermittent...it'd blow HOT air sitting still but once driving, ice cold. But since the Pacifica happens while maintaining highway speed and cuts in and out, I don't know what to look at.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You in Advance,

Eric

Old 08-03-2019, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by HemiMoparGuy1981
I'm not real knowledgeable about air conditioning, our Pacifica isn't cooling real well. It started off while sitting still it wasn't blowing very cold, but while driving it was ok. I put a small can of freon in it. They gauge said it was good to begin with, but I wanted to get it to the max level of good, so I put the entire can in, but the gauge didn't seem to have moved. Since then, it seems to be worse. Now it not only doesn't do much while sitting, It intermittently blows slightly warm air while driving...like on the highway at a maintained speed, then all of a sudden will blow cold for a while, then back to not so cold, repeatedly. My first thought is condenser fan, cuz my truck had similar issue, but never intermittent...it'd blow HOT air sitting still but once driving, ice cold. But since the Pacifica happens while maintaining highway speed and cuts in and out, I don't know what to look at.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You in Advance,

Eric

I've been doing some extensive research for A/C issues on my '07 Pacifica and from what I found it kind of sounds like you may have overcharged the system, in my opinion.
If you do a google search for overcharged A/C symptoms the results sound like what you are experiencing.
I'm certainly not an A/C tech, not even remotely.
But someone on here may speak up and correct me.
Hope that gives you at least a direction to start with, wish I knew more.

Old 08-03-2019, 06:30 PM

I tried to put more freon in today, and I kept burning my arm on the canister...the car was running and had been driven for a while, and now, the gauge reads in the red, even though last time when I was putting freon in, it stayed in the greeen and didn't change. The clutch cycles on and off every few seconds. But yes, with your info from research and my gauge now reading high, I would believe that to be the issue. How does one fix it now? I mean, there was an issue to begin with, otherwise I wouldn't have added freon in the first place. So there is still and underlying issue.

Old 08-03-2019, 06:50 PM

Well, if you're a law abiding citizen, it's illegal to bleed the system without the equipment to recapture the refrigerant.
Just saying...
I do know that there is a very, very fine line between properly charged and overcharged.

I think you're correct in saying there's an underlying problem.
High probability of bad o-rings.

Old 08-03-2019, 06:52 PM

Well, I am for the most part, but I have been known to fracture the occasional law, LOL

Old 08-05-2019, 02:44 PM

have to know what the pressure readings are on the low and hi side at an idle, a undercharge or overcharge of R-134A will cause poor cooling