Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

'07 Pac Won't Turn Over when it's Hot Outside!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 03:16 AM
Default '07 Pac Won't Turn Over when it's Hot Outside!

Hello, all! I tell ya, this Pacifica of mine has given me more than my fair share of problems that are difficult to diagnose. This time, it's an issue with starting. When it gets hot outside, and my car sits in it for a few hours, it will not turn over or start at all. It just sits there silent. When I turn the key in the ignition, the instrument panel fires up as if it is going to start, but I get nothing. On those days, I end up having to let the windows down and open the hatchback, and, after a few minutes and some elbow grease on the key ingnition, it will finally either start clicking or starting up.

When I park it in the shade, most times it will start with a bit of forceful key turn. When I park it in a garage, it doesn't seem to be an issue. In the mornings, not a problem at all. But when it is hot, forget about it. Each day I have to find a shaded parking lot in order to give myself a chance at starting it.

Would love to know if this is a simple problem taking place so that I can avoid spending too many $$$ on repairs. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 08-16-2012, 09:00 AM

what do you mean by "foceful key turn"?

Old 08-17-2012, 06:13 AM

Hi, desperado. To get the car to start, I have to turn the key in the ignition as far to the right as possible, past the point where a normal car would start. Sometimes I have to turn the key so hard I run the risk of breaking the key (too much force on it). When it is hot outside, this won't even work. One time I turned the key so car it bent the key.

As a rule, I have to park the car in the shade now in order to have a chance at starting it. That usually means a tree or garage. In the garage, though, startup is not a problem.

Thanks!

Old 08-20-2012, 01:51 PM

you shouldn't be doing that ;-) or at least you shouldn't *have* to do that.

you have a key cylinder that is inserted in a housing which has the ignition switch and SCREEM (immobilizer) module attached.

It's kind of hard to figure which is at issue. Plus your key could be damaged.

first step, I would take out the cylinder and check that, and the way it's seated within the housing.

Attached Thumbnails '07 Pac Won't Turn Over when it's Hot Outside!-picture-8.jpg  
Old 09-11-2014, 11:18 AM

Sounds like my problem. I turn the key and nothing but a single low clunk sound and dash lights dimming somewhat. On the second try it starts normally. The shop did a diagnostic on the start system and reported all normal.

My problem does not correlate to anything, but it does seem to be happening more and more. Looks like I'll get stranded eventually.