Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

2006 Pacifica Power Steering Locks Up When Acclerating

Old 07-05-2018, 10:45 AM
Question 2006 Pacifica Power Steering Locks Up When Acclerating

Approx 3 months ago I had the power steering pump, hoses, rack & pinion and an engine mount replaced in my 06 Pacifica. Then, about a month ago the power steering locked up on me a couple of times. Brought it to the repair shop a they said I must have received a bad rack. It was replaced at no charge.

Now, just a couple of days ago, the power steering locked up on me again - TWICE. Sounds strange but I have narrowed it down to whenever I put the "pedal to the metal" (I mean REALLY stomp on the gas) is when the steering locks up. I tested my theory again yesterday just to be sure. After I slow down and press the brakes, and wiggle the steering it goes back to normal.

I am a complete novice when it comes to car repair, but is there any relation between acceleration and the power steering? When I accelerate, could it be that the engine is torqued so much that maybe something in the power steering is getting pinched?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.