Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

08 T&C Power Steering Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 01:29 PM
Default 08 T&C Power Steering Question

We have an 08 T&C with a little over 60,000 miles on it that has an odd power steering problem.

Up until about 3-4 months ago the power steering acted as normal with no issues, but then overnight the steering wheel got much harder to turn.

It still has some power assistance, but nowhere near what it used to be...you have to wrestle the steering wheel now and it gets to be tiring for my wife.

I actually kind of enjoy it as I'm not a huge fan of one finger steerable wheels, but my petite wife does not like it when having to make multiple tight turns picking up the kids, etc.

No steering whine present, no visible leaks, and the power steering reservoir level has remained steady.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:34 AM

Not exactly my forte', but I'd check the belt driving the power steering pump (if it has one) for slackness or breakage. But then that's me, "always go for the simple things first" principle. Later car designs use electric servo-type motors to power the steering. Not liked by some.

Leedsman.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:51 AM

I'd check the tyre pressures first !

Old 03-18-2014, 08:30 AM

! was thinking that!!!

Leedsman.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:39 AM

Belt is fine and no issues on tire pressure.

I did some more poking around last night, but cannot find anything amiss.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:09 PM

Turning of the steering wheel is converted into linear (side-to-side) travel through the meshing of the helical pinion teeth with the rack teeth within the steering gear. The lateral travel pushes and pulls the tie rods to change the direction of the vehicle's front wheels.

Power assist steering is provided by a belt driven rotary type pump. It directs fluid through power steering fluid hoses to the power steering gear where it is used to assist the driver's turning effort.

Manual steering control of the vehicle can be maintained if power steering assist is lost. However, under this condition, steering effort is significantly increased.

HYDRAULIC FLOW AND PRESSURE TEST

The following procedure is used to test the operation of the power steering system on this vehicle. This test will provide the gallons per minute (GPM) or flow rate of the power steering pump along with the maximum relief pressure. Perform this test anytime a power steering system problem is present. This test will determine if the power steering pump or power steering gear is not functioning properly. The following test is performed using the Power Steering Analyzer Kit 6815

1. Check power steering belt to ensure it is in good condition and adjusted properly.
2. Assemble Power Steering Analyzer as follows:a. Gauge end (inlet) of Flow Meter And Gauge 6800 - Hose 6905, Hose 6713, Adapter Tube 6844
b. Valve end (outlet) of Flow Meter And Gauge 6800 - Hose 6959 , Adapter Fitting 6826
3. Unthread pressure hose tube nut at power steering pump.
4. Connect Adapter Tube 6844 to pressure fitting on power steering pump. Tighten tube nut to specifications.
5. Connect power steering pressure hose to Adapter Fitting 6826 . Tighten tube nut to specifications
6. Open Analyzer test valve completely.
7. Start engine and allow to idle long enough to circulate power steering fluid through Analyzer flow meter and hoses.
8. Shut off engine and check fluid level; add fluid as necessary. Repeat Step #7 and Step #8 until air is bled from system.
9. Start engine and allow to idle.
10. The Analyzer gauge should read below 300 psi (2068 kPa). If above, inspect hoses for restrictions and repair as necessary. The initial pressure should be in range of 100-175 psi (689-1896 kPa). The flow meter should read above 1.5 GPM (5.7 LPM).

CAUTION: The following test procedure step involves testing maximum pump pressure output and flow control valve operation. Do not leave valve closed for more than five seconds as the pump could be damaged.

NOTE: The power steering pump maximum relief pressure specification for all pumps is 1640 - 1740 psi (11,307 - 11,997 kPa).
11. Close flow meter valve fully three times and record highest pressure indicated each time. All three readings must be within specifications and within 100 psi (690 kPa) of each other.
If power steering pump pressures are within specifications, but not within 100 psi (690 kPa) of each other, replace power steering pump.
If pressures are within 100 psi (690 kPa) of each other, but are outside of specifications, replace power steering pump.
If the power steering pump requires replacement,

CAUTION: During the next step, do not force the pump to operate against the stops for more than 5 seconds at a time as pump damage may result.

12. Completely open the valve on the Power Steering Analyzer flow meter. Turn the steering wheel to the extreme left until the stop in the steering gear is met, then turn the steering wheel to the right until the right stop is met. Record the highest indicated pressure at each position. Compare the recorded readings to the specifications. If the highest output pressure reading against one stop is not within 100 psi (690 kPa) of the highest reading at the other stop, the steering gear is leaking internally and must be replaced.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by ChryslerCares
12. Completely open the valve on the Power Steering Analyzer flow meter. Turn the steering wheel to the extreme left until the stop in the steering gear is met, then turn the steering wheel to the right until the right stop is met. Record the highest indicated pressure at each position. Compare the recorded readings to the specifications. If the highest output pressure reading against one stop is not within 100 psi (690 kPa) of the highest reading at the other stop, the steering gear is leaking internally and must be replaced.
Can you tell me what are the specifications? Is it the same "maximum relief pressure" like mentioned before?

Old 09-25-2019, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Wiscodisco
We have an 08 T&C with a little over 60,000 miles on it that has an odd power steering problem.

Up until about 3-4 months ago the power steering acted as normal with no issues, but then overnight the steering wheel got much harder to turn.

It still has some power assistance, but nowhere near what it used to be...you have to wrestle the steering wheel now and it gets to be tiring for my wife.

I actually kind of enjoy it as I'm not a huge fan of one finger steerable wheels, but my petite wife does not like it when having to make multiple tight turns picking up the kids, etc.

No steering whine present, no visible leaks, and the power steering reservoir level has remained steady.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
I prefer checking the power steering pump maybe that's causing the hard steering if you say that the reservoir is full of fluid