Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

AC Problem PLS Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 04:28 PM

Chrysler Tech was right. I took it to the dealer and at first they tought that the air
passage door that leads to the driver was stuck, and that little job was over a thousand dollars to fix. but then a buddy of mine that works there looked into it and found out that the freon was low. So they called the chrysler engineers to make sure because those doors very rerely go out and they said that low freon was the cause. Good call C-Tech!

Old 06-25-2009, 05:47 PM

Learn somethnig new every day, thanks Ctech! The doors that ad problems where those in the Ram trucks.. at least the blend door.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

old ram 1500 yep same thing on the old Jeep Cherokees same setup blend doors on Jeep grand Cherokees and the rec door on the new 1500 trucks.

If u understand how an AC system works it all makes scene.
think of it like this an ac system works by removing heat from air passing over the evap u cant make cold air u just remove the heat from the same air that's why its cold to u.

Ever work out and have sweat all over u and stand next to a fan U think its cold air but its not its the same air temp that's all around u it only feels cold because the sweat on your body is allowing the heat to be given up and transferred to the air around u.
Basic physics yes I had to take a physics class when I went through Chrysler program =)

Old 06-25-2009, 11:21 PM

Alas evaporative cooling. Thanks again.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:29 AM

I went to a car repair place and was told $40 to look at the A/C system and $120 to charge it. YIKES! So I drove it another couple of weeks with the windows down. Eventually I got hot enough I stormed into an O'Rileys auto parts store. They have about 15 different choices to choose from. There were some cans with gauges part of the hose. They said those were cheap pieces of crap and sometimes you empty a whole can and it does not make a good seal with the car. So they sold me a $13 hose with brass fittings and two cans of refrigerant ($10 each). The cans were just refrigerant, no oil or sealant in the can. I googled what I wanted to do and found this website called Instructables. This guy had about the same set up and tools as I was looking at so I gave it a shot.

http://www . instructables.com/id/Adding_Freon_to_your_automobiles_Air_Condtioning_/

The high pressure fitting was covered in oil and dirt that had settled on the oil. I cleaned it up and figured out it was the high pressure one and not the one I needed as it would be very easy to attach the hose to that fitting. So I look down further into the engine and WAY down in there is the other fitting. That figures. Same thing, covered in dirt but it cleaned up easy.

Not quite sure at this point how I am going to get my hands, the can, hose and hook it up with out getting burned or a finger accidently tore off. I definitely did not feel comfortable with the engine running doing this for the first time. After a couple of surprise spurts of refrigerant hooking up the hose, I got it on. I am sure some the mechanics on here would have almost wet their pants laughing so hard watching me but I got the damn thing on. So I read the instructables one more time and crank it up and open the can. It took about 20 min to empty the can and I had cold air. I figured cool to cold was better than hot and I did not want to overfill it so I only put one can in. About this time I was feeling comfortable and it was just like doing air hose/hydraulic fittings so it was no sweat. I never did figure out where the accumulator can is located – to see sweat and verify I put enough in. So now I am kicking myself and wondering if I should have bought a can with the pressure gauge on the hose. Anyways, it works now. My wife is happy she can open and close the vents and complain I like it too hot or too cold. She really likes that she can slide the bar and not only control her side but my side as well. In a weird way, I miss only one temp air – warm.

I am going to put the glove box back on tonight as I never did find a cabin air filter. I did break off a little plastic nub where I bet it would be if I did have one. ( I was hot and frustrated and feel silly I did not take a step back and realize there were no moving parts. I just was focused on that they said you just slide this little nub back and the filter pops out. )

It has about 50,000 miles on it and I am feeling good about it again. I figure what I saved will go a long ways towards a brake job (which I bet I will soon need) or the new tires I will need by the end of summer.