Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Brake won't release the lock on shifter!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 09:17 AM
Default Brake won't release the lock on shifter!

I have a 2005 Pacifica and I was hoping if someone new what can cause the gear shifter lock to not release when I put on the brakes. It isn't all the time I go somewhere maybe one or twice a day but it seriously takes several minutes to get it to release. It started a couple of days ago. Also is it a computer thing or a mechanical part that gets it to move?

I also have an issue with the car jerking when cruising down the street at about 35-40 mph what is going on there?

Plus I have infamous fuel tank problem with the transfer pumps going out and the fuel level sensor bad. Are all these related if I can change my fuel level senor is there a possibility that the transfer pumps will start working right so I don't run out of gas at half a tank? I had both pumps replaced last summer but they seem to be acting up again stranding me on the highway twice now.

Thank you anyone for whatever help you can give!!

Old 09-14-2010, 08:53 PM

The Shifter... If it still works but not all the time, you may just need the interlock cable adjusted. It may even need a whole shifter assembly if the mechanism is bent or broken.

The Fuel Pumps. If you have an F44 recall on your car then you may be able to get a new one installed for free. However that's just the main fuel pump.

The Jerking ....is it if you keep the throttle steady or when you accel/decel ?

Last edited by TNtech; 09-19-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:44 AM

Ok the shifter totally gave out on me yesterday while picking up my son from daycare. I got into the console and found the release button and have to use that to get anywhere. So I am guessing that it is the assembly now.

Last night a friend of mine replaced the sending unit on the drivers side. The gas cap light is off and my check engine light is off BUT I still have issues with the gauge going to empty on half a tank and filling up is still an issue taking about 10-15 mins to get gas in it, like it is having issues getting into the tank. I am wondering now if it is the transfer pumps. I did have them replaced last summer. But I am baffled with this.

When I am cruising down the street at a steady 35-40 mph it jerks.

Thank you for your help I am a single mom and I want to be educated on this before I present my problem to a mechanic or to a parts store. I am not one to be taken advantage of.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:54 PM

There is a sending unit on both sides. PCM uses both inputs.

Yeah you'll need a shifter assembly. When your friend puts in in for you tell him to make sure and take note of the cable adjustments and their position. Install the new one the same way.

About the jerking...first thought is a bad coil or spark plug. It can be so many things.

Last edited by TNtech; 09-16-2010 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:48 PM

It's part of the mechanism to prevent the shifter from being moved out of park without your foot on the brake.