Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

A/C Drive Hot, Passenger Cold

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 06:08 PM
Default A/C Drive Hot, Passenger Cold

Thanks in advance for reading.

I have an '04 Pacifica with dual climate control. The AC went out the once the hot weather came in (finally), so I had it recharged. The tech said there was still refrigerant in the system, so I assumed that after 8 years it just needed a boost. It worked great for a few weeks, here is the interesting part:

My wife tells me its not working, but when i drive it I find that the passenger air is cold and the drivers side is hot, real hot at first, cooling down only after a while. It does work a little better on recirc. I shot a IR temperature gun down the two middle vents, the driver vent was always about 15 degrees warmer regardless of how the controls were set.

I search a long time on the forum and can probably fix every issue EXCEPT mine. I am guessing this is probably a cheap fix but a long on for a DIY mechanic like me. I figure its either the control unit or a vent isn't moving behind the dash, which could be the vent of the control unit. I am also not sure if they are vacuum operated or motor driven. Since this is the 21st century, I am thinking motor.

All replies appreciated.

Rich

Old 07-16-2012, 06:12 PM

Ugh, I can't edit my post. Driver side is hot, passenger cold. I apologize for all the other grammatical errors. I think the gist is in there though.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

u have low freon again which means u have a leak

Old 07-16-2012, 09:51 PM

Even though it's only blowing hot out of one side? Does this help isolate where the leak is? Is the coil split between the zones?

I don't doubt I am out of freon, just trying to understand the indication.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

When there is not enough freon to remove the heat from the incoming air only half of the system will feel like its cool. If u were able to look at the evaporator while its working The top half of the evap would be cold and the lower half not cold because all of the freon has absorbed the latent heat and it can not take any more so it passes right out to the system to be reused.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:25 AM

Thanks Chrysler Tech. I guess I am just surprised at the large difference, but what you're saying makes sense. I guess this will be more expensive than tearing the dash apart chasing my tail. Too bad your mobile repair isn't in NH.

Thanks again.