Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Pacifica Intermittently Doesn't Start

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 02:44 PM
Default Pacifica Intermittently Doesn't Start

My 2008 Pacifica Touring intermittently doesn't start. The problem happens randomly, about once every week or so, but it's becoming more frequent. I turn the key, nothing. Try again, it starts. Sometime I have to try twice, and once during a heavy rain I had to try 6-7 times. When it happens, the dash lights dim slightly and I hear a very low "thunk" kind or sound.

Dealer can't do anything unless it happens for them (which it didn't, of course). If anyone can tell me what the problem is, I sure would appreciate it.

Last edited by thatendswell; 10-10-2014 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by thatendswell
My 2008 Pacifica Touring intermittently doesn't start. The problem happens randomly, about once every week or so, but it's becoming more frequent. I turn the key, nothing. Try again, it starts. Sometime I have to try twice, and once during a heavy rain I had to try 6-7 times. When it happens, the dash lights dim slightly and I hear a very low "thunk" kind or sound.

Dealer can't do anything unless it happens for them (which it didn't, of course). If anyone can tell me what the problem is, I sure would appreciate it.
thatendswell,

Sorry to hear of this hard starting condition.
Based on your description, it sounds as though some electrical components are being exposed to moisture on those rainy days causing the issue to worsen.
Intermittent issues can certainly be difficult to identify, your dealer would rather duplicate the issue to be sure about which components are problematic rather than replace the wrong parts.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:30 PM

@WesH: Thanks for taking the time to respond, but that's bad news. It means that eventually I'll end up stranded, tow the car in to the dealer's shop, and then watch as it starts right up for them. Then I'll drive off and sooner or later repeat it all. Looking forward to the fun.