Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Researching a Pac

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 11:49 PM
Default Researching a Pac

Hey all, just wanted to introduce myself quickly and ask a couple real general questions about Pacifica shopping. I've loved the styling of the 04-07 body style since it was first produced, and always thought about owning a Pac. The price point was too high at the time, but rapid depreciation does have its advantages when you're a used car buyer like myself. Within the next year I would ideally like to find an '05 AWD model w/ 3rd row seat for $10k give or take. They are getting close. I've always been a "car" guy, having owned many GM sedans more than anything else in my 15 years of driving. But I need something bigger now for a growing family (minivan is NOT an option), and the Pacifica IMO is the best looking mid-size SUV on the market. But Chryslers are a bit of a new area for me.

General question... is there anything in particular I shoud look for when shopping or test driving? From browsing the forum, it doesn't seem like there are any "chronic" Pacifica problems... but it may be too early to tell yet. I mean the oldest Pac out there is only 4. I was hoping to find a really in-depth forum with detailed sections, similar to my previous forum experiences with Bonneville Club, Aurora Club of North America (where I'm an Admin), and RVforum.net. All great folks and great info on those particular vehicles. So far Chrysler Forums here looks to be the best resource for the Pacifica, and obviously many of you are very knowlegable on these models.

Thanks in advance for any comments!

Old 08-31-2008, 09:37 AM
Default RE: Researching a Pac

When test driving, pay attention for tranmission slop & clunky shifting. Apprently this was a problem on some early Pac's...

Old 08-31-2008, 11:18 AM

i bought an 2004 fwd with everything(Nav,Tv,DVD Changer,leather, sunroof,fog lights......)Used,the only thing I had to do is get new brakes,(340 for front and back)The only thing I got an issue with is one of my headlights is not as bright as the other one. I changed teh bulb but that didnt do anything.
Good luck with your car, why do you need a awd?fwd has a slight better gas mileage, these suvs arent quick or offroad material, just asking.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:28 PM

I don't absolutely have to get AWD, but winter roads can get tricky here in IL. Since this will primarily be the grocery getter & kid taxi for my wife, I just figured a little extra traction (when needed) can't hurt.

I do need to run some numbers with the curb weight, as this vehicle also needs to be towable behind my RV. That possibility may actually be affected by AWD... I hadn't thought about that until now.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:10 PM

Not to be a downer on the Pac, I had a 07 with a boatload of problems. Chrysler finally relented and bought it back and I now have a 08 Aspen, which I love. To read more go to this site and you will see a pattern with the PAC.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/dir...ew/.f0f6201/30

Old 09-01-2008, 02:27 PM

Thanks for the link - I know every make/model has its lemons & cherries, so at least I know there is the possibility of a tranny problem and I can pay attention in any test drives. It sounds like that's what Dustymedic was referring to, but it's good to have specific examples.