Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

What Hitch and Weight Distribution and Sway System?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 01:17 AM
Default What Hitch and Weight Distribution and Sway System?

I just purchased an enclosed motorcycle trailer. It is a 7 x 12 tandem wheel with electric brakes.

The brand is Haulmark. The model is there Low Hauler. It weighs 2075 lbs. empty and has a 180 to 190 lbs. tounge weight when level.
My Pacifical is a 2005 Touring Model with AWD and every other option exept for builyt in GPS (I use a Tom Tom 920T)

I had the dealer install the Mopar factory hithch yesterday with the 7 wire harness. I odered this based on the pdf document of the installation instructions and ratings.

Well when I looked at the back, the receiving hole was facing straight down. And the big kicker is that he cut out a section of my bumper fascia and did not need to. WTF!

I went down to a local trailers only store and all there guys came out to see this and just scratched there heads. They are Reese / DrawTite dealers.

They do not feel that a Pacifica can handle a weight distribution system. What are other using to tow around 3000 -3500 lbs?

Oh, the height of the trailers ball receiver is 18" from the ground when the trailer is level.

How should I deal with the dealer that cut my bumper for a recieving hole that was not even in the design of the hitch?

I am in a speedy need for this information.

Thanks!

Old 04-10-2008, 08:09 AM
Default RE: What Hitch and Weight Distribution and Sway System?

Well I have the MOPAR hitch with the 7 way harness just as you describe and I love Mine. They did have to cut a small portion out for the receiver in the facia, but when he was done you almost couldnt see it. Now when you say the receiving hole, do you mean the 2 inch opening for the receiver or the plug in for the 7 way harness? My & way plug does point down at a sever angle, just the design I guess. The max towing capacity with the hitch and weight distribution is 3500 LBS and 350 LB tongue weight. I have never towed anything that heavy with mine yet, but if you have a distribution hitch and use the autostick feature , I don't see why you should have any issues.

Also do you have a brake controller?

Good Luck,
Bob

Old 04-10-2008, 09:00 AM

I had the hitch you described installed and immediately told them to fix it. Chrysler has superceded the part with the vertical hitch you are describing, so the dealer had to locate one from another dealer that happened to have the old horizontal style in stock.

As for a receiver hitch- you would need something like this:
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c..._1991_10057836
which will greatly lower the hitch height.

Also, for towing to the max rating (at least it is writen this way on the 2007 paperwork I have) you need a "Transmission Oil Cooler". Fun part: this is not a factory option, and no such thing exists. I did some calling around to dealers and even Chrysler and was told this is likely a misprint and should state "Engine Oil Cooler" which I got a quote to have installed for about $800. I did not do so as I did not need the max towing capacity.

I would insist that they replace your hitch with one that is the horizontal mount. Especially if they cut the bumper - as I understand the install on the vertical hitch requires NO cutout at all - I know they did not cut my bumper at all when they installed the vertical, only when they replaced it with the horizontal mount.

Note also that they cannot order the old style hitch from Chrysler - Chrysler will simply ship the newer model/style.

Good luck.

As for weight distribution - once you replace the hitch, I have to imagine any trailer store should be able to help you with that. Or you can get the adapter above.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:17 AM

bizzob223,
You where lucky I guess and got the older style with the horizontal hitch receiver. That fits beautifully with a small cut out in the facia.

ssstw1,
You are correct. I saw that 90 degree adapter and I feel it lowers the hitch recieving hole to much. The dealer cut my facia and they said there
is know way they can get the old style. Though there current parts book shows the old style in the installed pic.I am thinking on telling them I want a new facia.

I also have the print out of my vehicle and it does list a transmission oil cooler. From what I understand, all the AWD versions have this.

I am looking at a complete Reese setup. Including the hitch!

Old 04-14-2008, 08:28 AM

It's weird, because I was told that all Pacifica's come with a trans cooler and all you needed to add was the hitch and the wiring harness. Hi-def I'm sorry you got the new style. Have you looked at other dealers for any in stock or check the internet? Wyckoff chrysler and 1st chrysler parts are decent people that I have dealt with. Hope things work out.

Good luck,
Bob

Old 04-14-2008, 11:17 AM

Hey bizzob223,

I just called 1st chrysler parts.com and left a message. That was an hour ago. I hope they have the old style hitch receiver!

The picture on their site is of one, but what's a pic?

Thanks for the tip.

If you run across a dealer that has one let me know or call me at 508-740-6024.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:23 AM

Will do, good luck on your search.

Bob

Old 04-16-2008, 09:47 AM

Bob,

I found one yesterday at another local dealer.

Had it installed today at my dealer. They took the newer one off and took it back and installed the older style Mopar hitch that I found.

Worked out great. Later today I will be getting the weight distribution system and I should be good to go. Up to 3500 lbs. that is!