Chrysler PT Cruiser Offering a sedan and 2 door convertible, both of which offer a naturally aspirated or turbocharged engine, this car has something to offer everyone

2006 was fine, now cranks but no spark, ideas?

Old 12-08-2018, 01:29 PM
Default 2006 was fine, now cranks but no spark *** SOLVED last post ***

I'll describe my 2006 PT non-turbo symptoms, someone will have an Ah-ha ! Fresh fuel pump, plugs & wires, + compression check 2 months ago. Cam pos sensor new a year ago. Been starting instantly & running fine. A week ago, out-of-the-blue it wouldn't fire on 2 consecutive key turns, fired & ran fine on 3rd key turn. Started fine instantly daily until last night when it again ignored my key turn 2x & fired fine on the 3rd. I pulled the car into the garage for the night. 27 degrees here now. Today, repeated key turns produce cranking only, no hint of firing.

Experimentally, I sprayed some starting fluid into the air intake hose & cranked engine, NO HINT OF FIRING. Seems reasonable to think compression & fuel system probably fine, starting fluid not firing suggests lack of spark now. No, I haven't actually confirmed with certainty that there is no spark.

I have no codes. Are there 3 possible primary culprits? Do I understand correctly cam pos sensor, crank pos sensor & coil are the primary suspects?

Given the occasional, intermittent nature of ignition behavior (no firing on 2 key turns then firing fine on 3rd), can anyone suggest one culprit more likely of the 3 ?
Thanks again in advance for your insights.

Last edited by den458; 04-20-2019 at 08:58 PM. Reason: problem resolved with new CRANK sensor
Old 12-11-2018, 10:43 AM

Wow, 146 views, no replies.
I was looking for agreement that no firing while using the starter fluid validates I have no spark...
And which of the 3 items (Crank sensor, cam sensor or coil) was most likely responsible.
Surely one fails more often than the others...?
I bought all 3 at Advance Auto assuming 1 solves it & I return the other 2, mission accomplished.
Maybe starting at the coil to absolutely verify absence of spark? Hmmmm.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:50 AM

** IMPORTANT UPDATE **
I had AAA tow my '06 PT to my local NAPA shop, and
Tech just disconnected the battery for a bit then reconnected it, and
IT NOW STARTS for him repeatedly, yesterday & today, so far.
I'm told sometimes just resetting the computer solves these issues.
NO new parts installed, 30 minutes labor invested so far...
They're going to see if it continues to start today & tomorrow... wow.
I'm thrilled it starts now, concerned why it didn't before...
wondering if & when it will happen again.
Will update again in 24 hours whether or not it's still consistently OK...

Old 12-17-2018, 01:01 PM

*** IMPORTANT UPDATE 2 ***
The problem reappeared, just a couple days later.
Started instantly & ran fine a few days since the battery disconnect / computer reset solved the no-start.
Yesterday morning wouldn't start, cranks fine, no hint of firing. Exactly as before.
Revised thinking: neither problems with the cam sensor or coil pack would have exactly these intermittent results.
I think the crank sensor is the most likely culprit.
Next update when I have news....

Old 04-19-2019, 10:43 PM

Check camshaft sensor/crankshaft sensor

Old 04-20-2019, 08:52 PM

*** SOLVED *** Since the last post, I'd tried it daily for a week, cranked great, still no hint of ignition. I then let the car sit untouched for 4 months over the winter. Early April, I charged the battery& tried the key a couple weeks ago, it started right up. I knew it was most likely one of 3 things, the CRANK SENSOR. I decided to throw a little money at it, bought CRANK & CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSORS, plus the IGNITION COIL. Bought all 3 at Advance Auto with a 20% off coupon, parts were about $100 total. I immediately drove my car to my local NAPA auto shop that does work reasonably, to install all 3 parts, I think I was out another $100 labor. On reflection, I think a problem with CAMSHAFT SENSOR or COIL PACK would have just caused running poor, but the CRANK SENSOR is a show stopper. But I was happy enough to invest $200 parts/labor & have this car that starts & runs nicely now. Good investment, whether I keep or flip it, I have some reliability peace-of-mind now. I'm leaning toward it having a new home by years end...